Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Starting program for word to pdf conversion (difference cmd and tcc)

Apr
Hello!
I have the following simple line in order to convert doc to pdf:
"\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\BRIEFE\TOOLS\CL_Programs\TotalDocConverterX\DocConverterX64.exe" "\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\Briefe_Backup\ARIA_varianimg_files\141419.doc" "\\XAMPP-SRV\variandok\" -cDOCX

Interestingly it works with cmd but not with tcc. What could be the reason?

Thanks a lot!

I think you'll need to give more information on how it fails under TCC. Is there an error message?

If there was no message from TCC, it's a pretty good bet that TCC created a process with the given command line. In that case, I'd expect that it would work, or there would be a message from DocConverterX64.exe

Hello!
I have the following simple line in order to convert doc to pdf:
"\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\BRIEFE\TOOLS\CL_Programs\TotalDocConverterX\DocConverterX64.exe" "\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\Briefe_Backup\ARIA_varianimg_files\141419.doc" "\\XAMPP-SRV\variandok\" -cDOCX

Interestingly it works with cmd but not with tcc. What could be the reason?

Thanks a lot!
Is "-cDOCX" correct? That doesn't seem to be an option for TotalDocConverter. Did you mean "-cPDF"?

If there was no message from TCC, it's a pretty good bet that TCC created a process with the given command line. In that case, I'd expect that it would work, or there would be a message from DocConverterX64.exe
What does it mean 'created a process'? TCC showed no output although cmd does.

What does it mean 'created a process'? TCC showed no output although cmd does.
Both TCC and CMD will (ultimately) use the Windows function "CreateProcess" to start DocConverterX64.exe which is its own process. Depending on how long it takes to convert the doc you may/may not be able to see that process in TaskManager. Neither TCC nor CMD typically produces output when they run another EXE. I suspect that any output is from DocConverterX64.exe. What happens if you just give the following commanf to CMD and TCC?

Code:
"\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\BRIEFE\TOOLS\CL_Programs\TotalDocConverterX\DocConverterX64.exe"

Have you tried it ...

1. without "quotes"
2. from Powershell
3. from the Start\Run dialog (WinKey+R)?

Just as an experiment, I suggest mapping a drive letter to \\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten, and retrying your command using the drive letter instead of the UNC path.

Both TCC and CMD will (ultimately) use the Windows function "CreateProcess" to start DocConverterX64.exe which is its own process. Depending on how long it takes to convert the doc you may/may not be able to see that process in TaskManager. Neither TCC nor CMD typically produces output when they run another EXE. I suspect that any output is from DocConverterX64.exe. What happens if you just give the following commanf to CMD and TCC?

Code:
"\\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten\BRIEFE\TOOLS\CL_Programs\TotalDocConverterX\DocConverterX64.exe"

Have you tried it ...

1. without "quotes"
2. from Powershell
3. from the Start\Run dialog (WinKey+R)?

Hi, I tried this:
1. no difference
2. it is on the server ... Powershell seems not work
3. Start/Run works good like CMD

Just as an experiment, I suggest mapping a drive letter to \\STZ-FR-DC1\Daten, and retrying your command using the drive letter instead of the UNC path.

Bingo!!! The ".exe"-File is'nt allowed here to be given as UNC Path :-(( ... if the file itself is given as UNC path it works but not the ".exe"-File.

Unfortunately I did it intentionally WITH UNC to avoid any problems by changing the server.

Is this difference known for TCC?

TCC is perfectly capable of starting an EXE specified by a UNC path. I have been doing it for many years. In the example below, "bb" is a remote machine.
Code:
v:\> "\\bb\g$\Gnu\grep.exe" repeat "\\bb\v$\colors.btm"
                        echo ^e[%@eval[%i+%j];%@eval[%i+%j+10]m%@repeat[ ,108]^e[0m

v:\>

Bingo!!! The ".exe"-File is'nt allowed here to be given as UNC Path :-(( ... if the file itself is given as UNC path it works but not the ".exe"-File.

I'm guessing here; I am not familiar with the program in question. But some programs don't expect to be started from a UNC path. CMD.EXE may be mapping a temporary drive letter before starting the program.

Or I could be completely wrong. Like I said, I'm just guessing.

I installed it and with TCC and a command line much like weissenb's ("\\remote\...\the.exe" "\\remote\...\file.docx" "\\remote\folder" -cpdf) successfully converted a DOCX to PDF. I installed on Win10\64 and got an x86 executable named DocConverter.exe (don't know about DocConverterX64.exe). It's a GUI app. When called from a command line (as above) it doesn't show its full-blown UI but it does show a temporary GUI progress indicator.