Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Starting Office apps

May
I got a new Win10 computer with a bought-and-paid-for Office 2019. Is there a way to fix this:
Code:
v:\> outlook
TCC: (Sys) The file cannot be accessed by the system.
"C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE"

"START outlook" works OK.

I got a new Win10 computer with a bought-and-paid-for Office 2019. Is there a way to fix this:
Code:
v:\> outlook
TCC: (Sys) The file cannot be accessed by the system.
"C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE"

"START outlook" works OK.
I do not know office 2019, so I have only some generic ideas.
If You type "which outlook" what do You get?
Does the file "C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE" exists?
When You "start outlook", then in task manager what is the path?
I ask this because on new pcs where I have installed office 2013 I see that there are three versions of office.
One is office 2013 and two are "built-in" versions of office.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

WHICH and TaskMgr (regardless of how Outlook was started) both show (as in my first post)
Code:
C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE

That is a symlink (to what?).
Code:
c:\users\vefatica\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps> d o*
2019-06-24  12:21     <SYMLINK>    outlook.exe [C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.exe]

Explorer shows it like this:

The properties dialog for that file shows this.

In any event, I wonder why TCC can't run it (CMD can)

And
Code:
c:\users\vefatica\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps> d o*
2019-06-24  12:21     <SYMLINK>    outlook.exe [C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.exe]

c:\users\vefatica\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps> echo %@symlink[.\outlook.exe]
ECHO is OFF

Does @SYMLINK work?

Maybe this is similar to my problem with ubuntu.exe;
Code:
e:\utils>which /a ubuntu.exe
ubuntu.exe is an executable extension : start /pgm C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe
ubuntu.exe is associated with : C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe
ubuntu.exe is an executable extension : start /pgm C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\CanonicalGroupLimited.UbuntuonWindows_1804.2019.521.0_x
64__79rhkp1fndgsc\ubuntu.exe
ubuntu.exe is associated with : C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe

What does which /a outlook.exe return?

Joe

I get this.
Code:
outlook is an external : C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE
outlook is an external : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Outlook_16051.11629.20246.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16\OUTLOOK.exe

The second one I can run, by name, from the TCC command line.

I get this.
Code:
outlook is an external : C:\Users\vefatica\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\outlook.EXE
outlook is an external : C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Outlook_16051.11629.20246.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16\OUTLOOK.exe

The second one I can run, by name, from the TCC command line.
Hmmm! The first of those is in %PATH. The second is in the "App Paths" registry key.

Here's what I found with ubuntu.exe;
Code:
c:\users\joe caverly\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps>dir ubuntu.exe

Volume in drive C is unlabeled    Serial number is acb2:6a48
 Directory of  C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe

2019-06-12  11:39     <SYMLINK>    ubuntu.exe [C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe]
                   0 bytes in 1 file and 0 dirs

Code:
c:\users\joe caverly\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps>echo %@symlink[ubuntu.exe]
ECHO is OFF

Code:
c:\users\joe caverly\appdata\local\microsoft\windowsapps>junction ubuntu.exe

Junction v1.07 - Creates and lists directory links
Copyright (C) 2005-2016 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

C:\Users\Joe Caverly\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\ubuntu.exe: UNKNOWN MICROSOFT REPARSE POINT

@vefatica do you get the same thing with outlook.exe 2019 using the SysInternals Junction?

Joe