Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Some minor flaws

Sep
DETACH /? dont show the quick help.
-------------------------------------------------------
IDE:
If the findnext/findprevious F3/Shift-F3 will find and select a target outside the visible edit window,
than the window content will not move with it. I can only see a finding in the statusline at the coordinates
for the caret. I must hit any cursorkey left/right/up/down to move the window content into the visible area.

And a suggestion in this context: It would very handyer - for me - if the find commands Ctrl-F and Ctrl-F3
would work together, that means, they store its value in the same buffer, so that the findnext/findprevious
command will have a target without using Ctrl-F3 before.

Last edited:
If the findnext/findprevious F3/Shift-F3 will find and select a target outside the visible edit window, t
han the window content will not move with it. I can only see a foinding in the statusline at the coordinates
for the caret. I must hit any cursorkey left/right/up/down to move the window content into the visible area.

Here, it actually does scroll the window, but not enough. The first time F3 finds text in a line which is outside the visible window, the window is scrolled so that the line in question is the first line outside the visible window. If the text is found again in the same line, the window is scrolled so that the line in question is the second-to-last line inside the visible window.

DETACH /? dont show the quick help.
It's OK in the English version.

1589902079236.png

Here, it actually does scroll the window, but not enough. The first time F3 finds text in a line which is outside the visible window, the window is scrolled so that the line in question is the first line outside the visible window. If the text is found again in the same line, the window is scrolled so that the line in question is the second-to-last line inside the visible window.
Yeah, that probably describes it more accurately, but it's still very cumbersome :cool:

It's OK in the English version.
Most things are okay in the English version, right ? :happy:
Here it looks like
1589910855364.png

Quick help is deprecated, unsupported, and missing hundreds of commands & options that are in the full help. Quick help will not (ever) be updated.
Aha, thats are reasons of course, but nevertheless regrettable, because I like it :happy:

I am now a bit brave and naughty: if the quick help is so "bad" and even deprecated, why not remove it completely? It doesn't make sense to have something, if it's not accurate or really helpful ... nor will the questions about it ever stop.

PS: I used it also many times already, and I like it too!

Yes, I'm even sure about it! That would be - OF COURSE - the better way, to support it again! My provocant reply was just for the case if it stays deprecated ...

I'm quite fond of the quick help. I'd bet most users are.

You'd be wrong. But admittedly the noisiest users are fond of it, despite the fact that it requires more keystrokes, shows only a tiny fraction of the information, is impossible to keep updated & formatted in 6 languages, and would (if it had all of the options) scroll off the page, rendering it mostly useless.

In fact, it's only advantage is ... well, actually I cannot think of a single reason to use it.

I've tried removing it for years, but a half-dozen exceptionally loud users start wailing every time.

You'd be wrong. But admittedly the noisiest users are fond of it, despite the fact that it requires more keystrokes, shows only a tiny fraction of the information, is impossible to keep updated & formatted in 6 languages, and would (if it had all of the options) scroll off the page, rendering it mostly useless.

You're contrasting the users who loudly favor Quick Help with the users who do not loudly favor Quick Help. Have any users actually spoken against Quick Help? Loudly or otherwise?

I'm a big fan of it as well. For the simple reason that it doesn't require switching windows to see the help. I'm an old-school command line guy and am most efficient when my hands never leave the keyboard.

In fact, it's only advantage is ... well, actually I cannot think of a single reason to use it.

I've tried removing it for years, but a half-dozen exceptionally loud users start wailing every time.
Some advantages for me are:
1) It is fast, and usually shows me exactly the information I am looking
for: purpose, spelling, switches, parameters etc.
2) It is German, mostly ....:smile:
Maybe this is why it is appreciated by other "foreign" users. I have few problems
with the English language, except for the fact that I read it better than
I understand it (for lack of practice).

I use the documentation mainly to learn new commands or study concepts or various
subtleties in TCC, and only secondarily for quick reference.
On the other hand, I do have some sympathy for your problems.
I understand very well that it takes a lot of work and certainly some of personnel
to keep the whole thing up to date, even in several languages.

You're contrasting the users who loudly favor Quick Help with the users who do not loudly favor Quick Help. Have any users actually spoken against Quick Help? Loudly or otherwise?

Yes:

1) The users who have to translate the Quick Help
2) All of the users who complain that Quick Help doesn't have every option for every command
3) All of the users who complain that they have to go to the full help after looking at the Quick Help because it didn't explain anything about using the command or the options

Sometimes, the Quick Help is all the help that can be had. For example, when using TCC through an SSH connection spanning thousands of miles. I admit that in such cases, I usually can access either web help or a more local .chm help, but that is not so quick. Sometimes I just want a reminder of what the options are, without their effect spelled out in great detail