Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Simple question about "Function" command...

May
Please excuse me if this is a set of stupid questions; I'm rather fond of stupid questions at this point in my life. So, here is a "sample" function definition (purely for illustration purpose; it's not the final version of the function that I'm actually trying to write):

Function Sample=`@Eval[@FileSize[%2 %1,b,%3]/@Files[%2 %1]]`
And here's the "results" of invoking said function:

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt]
@Eval[@FileSize[ *.txt,b,]/@Files[ *.txt]]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,/S]
@Eval[@FileSize[/S *.txt,b,]/@Files[/S *.txt]]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,/S,a]
@Eval[@FileSize[/S *.txt,b,a]/@Files[/S *.txt]]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,,a]
@Eval[@FileSize[ *.txt,b,a]/@Files[ *.txt]]

Exactly what I would hope for.

So here's function definition in the "attempt" to make the function more "real":

Function Sample=`@Eval[%@FileSize[%2 %1,b,%3]/%@Files[%2 %1]]`

And here's the "results" of trying to invoking the above function:

@Eval[21547243/186]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt]
@Eval[21546573/185]

@Eval[21547243/186]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,/S,a]
@Eval[22085632/186]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,,a]
@Eval[-1/0]

[Z:\]echo %@Sample[*.txt,``,a]
@Eval[-1/0]

Not exactly what I would expect. And, more importantly, incorrect!!!

So, the questions are, of course, what is going on here and what am I doing wrong and how do I fix it?

It looks to me like you have no *.TXT files in the current directory. @FILESIZE therefore returns -1, and @FILES returns 0.

Doing this correctly would be pretty tricky in a user-defined function. You would need to check for the no-matching-files condition before doing the division.

Charles, it was a good guess, but it is, simply put, flat-out not the case.

Specifically:

[Z:\]Echo %@Files[*.txt]

And, just for the record:

[Z:\]echo %@Files[*]

(I forgot to mention getting very similar results with the "all" pattern ("*" of course)).

And I'll note there is only a problem when the second argument is not present and the third one argument is, i.e., "Echo %@Sample[*.txt,,]" works fine yielding "@Eval[21546573/185]", whereas "Echo %@Sample[*.txt,,a]" yeilds "@Eval[-1/0]" (which was clearly shown in the second sequence above that ends in "echo %@Sample[*.txt,``,a]" - one of the "failures").

- Dan

But thank you.

- Dan

Okay, I actually tried it. I get different results from you in the first test:

C:\Bin\Words>Function Sample=`@Eval[@FileSize[%2 %1,b,%3]/@Files[%2 %1]]`

C:\Bin\Words>echo %@sample[*.txt,,a]
@Eval[@FileSize[a *.txt,b,]/@Files[a *.txt]]

C:\Bin\Words>option

C:\Bin\Words>

It seems that, for me at least, TCC is completely ignoring the second, empty, argument, and assigning the third argument to %2.

Charles, what you get is what I expected to get (my dim recollection is that TCC functions do not "accept" null arguments), but, as you can see, it isn't what I did get. However, after thinking about it for a while and "reworking" the function a bit to use "%@UnQuote[%2]" instead of just "%2", and supplying an otherwise empty double-quoted string as the second argument (i.e., %@Sample[*.txt,"",a]) everything now works fine, and it's only slightly inconvenient (if I remember it, of course!!! ; > ) >.

But thank you again.

- Dan