Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Script kiddies on the attack

rconn

Administrator
May
Staff member
The jpsoft.com site is being attacked from a number of Chinese sites today. Thus far, the new firewall and proxy have been fending them off relatively easily. But the volume is increasing, so it may be necessary to take some further steps.

I'll keep you posted if I have to do anything that affects the availability of the site.

Gosh, I sure hope they don't discover that easily-hacked server you have at IP address 127.0.0.1. It would be terrible if they managed to take that one down.

I doubt they're smart enough to find that super secret IP address. They've launched 7 attacks in the last 24 hours, so I give them a point for persistence. But I have to take away 10 points for launching exactly the same attack that failed on all their previous attempts.

And take away another 100 points for attacking a site that doesn't store any financial information.

And take away another 100 points for attacking a site that doesn't store any financial information.

*This* site - it could be co-hosted with another one that did...

Of course, they could be doing it just for the lulz. Over the years, my own website has been vandalized three times due to co-hosted sites being broken into due to a security flaw in some service running on them. The last time, the cracker gained root access and replaced all index.* files in the entire disk (wether or not they were on a public_html directory with a copy of his own file.

Lessons learned? 1) Always have a backup of the website ready. 2) web.archive.org is your friend. :)