Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Screens of different size and hidden console

I have 2 screens of different sizes (1280×1024, 1680×1050).
When I create a tab in TCMD, there is a hidden console created, which goes to the screen TCMD is currently displayed on. When I resize TCMD, the hidden console is resized accordingly (matching the number of rows and columns). When I move TCMD to the other screen, the hidden console remains on its original screen.
When I move TCMD from the smaller screen to the larger one and set it enlarged, and the hidden console is on the smaller screen, this hidden console may be limited in size by its screen, and TCMD will also display using a limited width.
Not sure something can be done. And the issue is not very important.
TCC 17.00.21 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]
TCC 16.03.54 x64 Windows 7 [Version 6.1.7601]

I don't think there's anything that an be done about it -- to move the hidden console window to another monitor, I would need the window handle. And that's not available; it's owned by (and hidden inside) the Windows console host.

However, you can always get a bigger max rows & columns by decreasing your default console font size. This won't affect the font & size used in TCMD tab windows.

I don't think there's anything that an be done about it -- to move the hidden console window to another monitor, I would need the window handle. And that's not available; it's owned by (and hidden inside) the Windows console host.

However, you can always get a bigger max rows & columns by decreasing your default console font size. This won't affect the font & size used in TCMD tab windows.
Didn't TCMD (at least once upon a time) set the font in the hidden consoles to something pretty small? I get 6 x 12 Consolas in the hidden consoles; that's not by my own choice nor the default.

Yes, it does. I get the same 6×12 Consolas font size. It also sets it bold, which is not by my own choice either.
If I choose still a smaller font size (while the console is detached), it can take more rows and columns, and thus handle large dimensions for TCMD on the large screen.
It seems that if detach the hidden console, move it to another screen with the mouse, and attach it again, it jumps back to its original screen.
Maybe there could be an option to specify on which screen/display the hidden console is to be created.

First, there isn't any "6x12 Consolas" - Consolas is a TT font, not a raster font. So it only has a point size.

Second, TCMD will resize the console font size downwards if you resize the window to something larger than what the underlying console buffer can handle. But that is relative to the monitor where the hidden console window resides -- and as I said, that cannot be moved to the other monitor (unless Microsoft exposes an API to do that). Note that simply moving the TCMD window to another monitor is not a resize, so it will not adjust the console font.

First, there isn't any "6x12 Consolas" - Consolas is a TT font, not a raster font. So it only has a point size.
The "6 x 12" comes directly from CONSOLE_FONT_INFOEX's dwFontSize. Aren't all fonts in the console mono-spaced ... have a fixed width?

The "6x12" return value is only relevant for your particular video card and your particular monitor (and you cannot set Consolas to 6x12).
Agreed. Nevertheless, it is the size of the font (x and y) that is of interest to me, especially in a console. I find the "point" description of a font somewhat useless. The same specification, e.g., "Consolas 11", can look different in different places. In a console it means 11 pixels high (good). In TCMD it means ...

This "6×12 Consolas" is a string I have seen displayed in some GUI. I believe it was TCMD in some former version, but I'm not absolutely sure; it doesn't display it in the current version, and I didn't try to install older versions just to check this. And yes: when I choose the size, it is in a dialog with point size.

I noticed that you managed to handle quite well the issue about the different sizes. Either by reducing more the font size (but I don't know exactly: at one point, I reduced the font size on a detached console, Windows will have remembered something in the registry), or by moving the console to the screen where TCMD is displayed (seems to happen at least when you re-attach the console).