Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Samsung Notes on a non-Samsung PC/Laptop

Aug
It's been a few years since I have had the need to use Samsung Notes on my non-Samsung PC.

The workaround that I had used previously no longer works, so I had to find a new method.

First, I used WinGet from the command line to install the latest Samsung Notes;
Code:
winget install "Samsung Notes"

Once installed, it will not start on a non-Samsung PC/Laptop.

It returns;
This app only works with Galaxy Books

I had to make my non-Samsung system appear to Samsung Notes as a Samsung system.

Thus, I wrote the following .BTM to do this;
Code:
:: Samsung.btm [ON][OFF][status]
::
:: Samsung Notes will only work on a Samsung PC/Laptop
:: This .btm updates the registery to make this system look like a Samsung System.
:: Before starting Samsung Notes, run Samsung.btm ON
:: start shell:AppsFolder\SAMSUNGELECTRONICSCoLtd.SamsungNotes_wyx1vj98g3asy!App
:: After Samsung Notes has been started, run Samsung.btm OFF

:: Install Samsung notes;
::  winget install "Samsung Notes"
@SETLOCAL
@ECHO OFF
iff %# eq 0 then
  echo USAGE: %_batchname [on][off][status]
  quit
endiff

iff %1 eq on then
  chronic echo %@regsetenv["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemManufacturer",REG_SZ,%@iniread[%_batchname,Samsung,SystemManufacturer]]
  chronic echo %@regsetenv["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemProductName",REG_SZ,%@iniread[%_batchname,Samsung,SystemProductName]]
  input /k"ynYN" Start Samsung Notes? (y/n): %%theKey
  if %theKey eq y start shell:AppsFolder\SAMSUNGELECTRONICSCoLtd.SamsungNotes_wyx1vj98g3asy!App
endiff

iff %1 eq off then
  chronic echo %@regsetenv["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemManufacturer",REG_SZ,%@iniread[%_batchname,Dell,SystemManufacturer]]
  chronic echo %@regsetenv["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemProductName",REG_SZ,%@iniread[%_batchname,Dell,SystemProductName]]
endiff

iff %1 eq status then
  echo %@regquery["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemManufacturer"]
  echo %@regquery["HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\HARDWARE\DESCRIPTION\System\BIOS\SystemProductName"]
endiff

ENDLOCAL
quit

[Dell]
SystemManufacturer=Dell Inc.
SystemProductName=Precision T5610
[Samsung]
SystemManufacturer=Samsung
SystemProductName=NP960XFG-KC4UK

Note that I have saved the System Manufacturer, and System Product Name, in the .INI section of the .BTM

Posting this mainly for my future reference, but others might also be interested.

Joe

Back