Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Running several TCMD versions side-by-side - config files

May
It seems that when you install a new TCMD version (like TCMD12 beta) side-by-side with an older version and also use the default location (APPDATA\Jpsoft) for TCMD configuration data (inifile etc.) all versions will share the same configuration data files.

Not quite ideal in my view, the new version might contain new settings which will not work in the old version for instance. You might also want to keep the settings in the new version separate for experimentation and such.

What would be the simplest way to use a new fresh set of configuration files for the newest version?

What would be the simplest way to use a new fresh set of configuration files for the newest version?

Hi,
I keep the TCMD.INI file in the respective TCMD1x directory.

When you move the TCMD.INI file from it's default location, use the %_ININAME to show that this is indeed the TCMD.INI file that will be used.

This way, I can configure each version the way that I want.

If you do a search in the help file for ini, you can read more about this in the section "Initialization (INI) Files".

One thing that is confusing in this section is the reference to %LOCALAPPDATA%. This is not an environment variable on my XP SP3 system. This is only by default found on Vista OS and above.

Nowhere in the section does it mention the %_ININAME internal variable, which I find more useful for locating the TCMD.INI file than %LOCALAPPDATA%. I'm still using XP SP3, and I'm sure that many others are as well.

%LOCALAPPDATA% can be accessed on an XP system by clicking Start, Run, and then typing;

Code:
shell:Local AppData
Joe

Running several TCMD versions side-by-side

I've been having a big problem with this myself. Indeed, the INI files
have resulted in some conflicts.

How can I get TCMD12 to use a different INI file? The LNK file refuses
to let me add an argument to the command line. Even when I create a new
LNK file using the SHORTCUT command, TCMD12 launches with the default
INI file (perhaps I'm making a syntax mistake).

-- Jay

%LOCALAPPDATA% can be accessed on an XP system by clicking Start, Run, and then typing;

Code:
shell:Local AppData
Joe

And you can define it in your TCSTART.BTM with
Code:
if not defined localappdata set localappdata=%@shfolder[28]

Re: Running several TCMD versions side-by-side

I've been having a big problem with this myself. Indeed, the INI files have resulted in some conflicts.

-- Jay

Are you prefacing the @ with a /? Windows will truncate any argument beginning with @ in a shortcut; see the help file (Take Command Startup Options) for details.

Running several TCMD versions side-by-side

I am doing what you want so my shortcut command is:

<wheverever> shortcut "Take Command 12.0.lnk"

Command=C:\PROGRA~1\JPSoft\TCMD12\tcmd.exe
Arguments=/@D:\TakeCommand\INIs\TCMD_v12.ini
Directory=C:\Documents and Settings\Charles\
Description=Execute Take Command v12.00.24
Link=Take Command 12.0.lnk
IconOffset=0
Mode=1
Hotkey
and if you create the link using EXPLORER then
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Monday, August 23, 2010 10:03 AM
Subject: RE: [Support-t-2273] Running several TCMD versions side-by-side

I've been having a big problem with this myself. Indeed, the INI files
have resulted in some conflicts.

-- Jay

Thanks for all answers!

Seems the best way is to modify the TCMD12 beta shortcut to use a different INI-file.

It would perhaps be a good idea for this to be done automatically by the installation program. At least if there's a previous version already installed. Might be a user selectable option, like the current "Overwrite existing or use side-by-side".

Re: Running several TCMD versions side-by-side

>
> Are you prefacing the @ with a /? Windows will truncate any argument beginning with @ in a shortcut; see the help file (Take Command Startup Options) for details.
No, I had missed that information. That solved the problem. Thanks.

-- Jay