Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Replacement for PC Magazine LaserLST Utility Available?

This is not a Take Command Issue per se! But since this group are avid command line users they might have a solution.

I have used a PC Magazine utility LaserLST since about 1989 to print two pages of TEXT output in compressed print format on a single side of a paper using a variety of HP Laserjet printers and PC5 or PCL6 in particular.

This utility will not run under Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit). It has worked fine under all previous versions (not 64 bit) of Windows.

Does anybody know of a replacement utlity that will do the same thing and works with Windows 7? Also LaserLST does not appear to support USB attached printers so a utility which was more configurable in port selection would also be nice. I use this utility to print out code, BTM files, and an occasional text file.

Perhaps someone has written a BTM file that will do this?

I have written several BTM files to print directories and files in compressed print mode as well as landscape mode by sending the approriate PCL control strings to a Laserjet printer via ECHOS and COPY commands. I also wrote a simple BTM file to print a file out in compressed landscape mode on a Laserjet but it will not do two side-by-side pages like Laserjet.
I would be happy to make these available to anyone who wants them.

I also used to used V Beurg's List but it too will not run under Win 7. It would appear that Vern has lost interest in upgrading this utility. Fortunately, TCC has a respectable LIST command that can act as a substitute.

Thanks for the help. Drew

TReplacementr for PC Magazine LaserLST Utility Available?

Check out Charles Prineas' V - The Fileviewer: http://www.fileviewer.com

-Scott

Drew Copeland <> wrote on 03/18/2010 02:34:06 PM:

> This is not a Take Command Issue! But since this group are avid
> command line users they might have a solution.
>
> I have used a PC Magazine utility LaserLST since about 1989 to print
> two pages of TEXT output in compressed print format on a single side
> of a paper using a variety of HP Laserjet printers and PC5 or PCL6
> in particular.
>
> This utility will not run under Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit). It has
> worked fine under all previous versions (not 64 bit) of Windows.
>
> Does anybody know of a replacement utlity that will do the same
> thing and works with Windows 7? Also LaserLST does not appear to
> support USB attached printers so a utility which was more
> congifurable in port selection would also be nice. I use this
> utility to print out code, BTM files, and an occasional text file.
>
> Perhaps someone has written a BTM file that will do this?
>
> I have written several BTM files to print directories and files in
> compressed print mode as well as landscape mode by sending the
> approriate PCL control strings to a Laserjet printer via ECHOS and
> COPY commands. I also wrote a simple BTM file to print a file out in
> compressed landscape mode on a Laserjet but it will not do two side-
> by-side pages like Lasaerjet.
> I would be happy to make these available to anyone who wants them.
>
> I also used to used V Beurg's List but it too will not run under Win
> 7. It would appear that Vern has lost interest in upgrading this
> utility. Fortunately, TCC has a respectable LIST command that can
> act as a substitute.
>
> Thanks for the help. Drew
>
>
>
>

I have used a PC Magazine utility LaserLST since about 1989 to print two pages of TEXT output in compressed print format on a single side of a paper using a variety of HP Laserjet printers and PC5 or PCL6 in particular.

This utility will not run under Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit). It has worked fine under all previous versions (not 64 bit) of Windows.
LaserLST seems to be a an old 16-bit DOS program, and Windows 7 64-bit support for these is rather limited.

I would recommend looking for a more recent Windows utility that offers the same functions.

Perhaps PrintFile could fill the bill? It is available here: PrintFile

When printing text files PrintFile makes a configurable page layout of the text contents. Several logical pages can be placed on one page of physical paper (referred to as n-up printing). There are also several other configurable options controlling the layout.
Text files can be printed on any printer that has a Windows printer driver. Text copied to the clipboard can also be printed in the same manner as text files. PrintFile can also do user configurable Pretty Printing of text files. Keywords and comments can be highlighted using different font styles and colors. This function is primarily intended for source code files.

Back