Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Remove last argument on command line

Feb
I find myself often repeating the following sequence:
1] I hit up-arrow on the command line to go to a previous command
2] I erase the last argument of that command (usually a filename)
3] I fill in a new filename for the argument (usually by typing a mask and using autocomplete) and hit enter.
The item that I'd like to figure out how to do more efficiently is step #2. How can I remove that last argument with a single keypress?
Right now, after recalling that previous command, I can backspace over the last argument, or I can use shift-left-arrow to select it and then delete it. The problem is that a single shift-left-arrow generally doesn't do the job, because shift-left-arrow doesn't select a whole argument; rather, it stops at underscores, dashes, and periods, and I often find that I have to press shift-left-arrow 4 or 5 times until I select the whole filename.
Hence, I'm wondering: is there a way to erase the entire argument with a single keystroke?

My fingers have learned Control-L to erase the word to the left of the cursor. Yes, it may be necessary to press it several times, but that never bothered me.

My fingers have learned Control-L to erase the word to the left of the cursor. Yes, it may be necessary to press it several times, but that never bothered me.
I figured there had to be an erase_word_left, but that one works oddly with quoted strings. For example, if you start with

a "b c"

the first Ctrl-L erases c
, the second erases b[space], and you need another to erase the remaining quote.

I would have thought ... only one (to erase the entire quoted word) or two (erase c
, then
b[space]. The same holds for the single quote and the back-tick.

Well that got all fouled up by my putting "quote" in brackets! I'll try again. If I start with

a "b c"

the first Ctrl-L erases c-quote, the second erases b-space, and the third erases the remaining quote.

Two would be better (erase c-quote, then quote-b-space). Better yet, only one (erase the entire quoted arg).