Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Done Reduce (or change) count of repeated characters

Oct
My employer uses an OLD (DOS) program that outputs CSV. In some cases the output contains quite a bit of spaces within the record, e.g., LEFT MSG FOR {8spaces} ATTY, PHONE 123-456-7890. WILL CALL NEXT WEEK {6spaces} IF NO RESPONSE

Right now, the only way I see to handle that is with a loop that repeatedly replaces multiple internal spaces until there are no multiple-space sections left.

I suggest a function that will replace a number range of repeated characters with a specified number of characters, e.g., %@ReplaceMultiChar [min#-max#, with this many, for this character,LT, string]

LT means "ignore leading" and "ignore trailing"

E.g., Replace occurrences of 5 to 25 spaces with 3 spaces, strip leading spaces but leave any trailing spaces.

Last edited:
Here's a simple one
Code:
v:\> echo %@rereplace[" *"," ",My      dog      has       fleas.]
My dog has fleas.

With fancier regular expressions (including quantifiers and BOL/EOL markers), you could do what you described.

If TPIPE's /perl were working, you could make TPIPE's perl matching greedy and this should also work.

Code:
v:\> echo My     dog     has     fleas. | tpipe /replace=4,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0" *"," "

There are already built-in functions that strip leading and trailing spaces. See @TRIM, @RTRIM, and @LTRIM. To replace internal spaces use Vince's suggestion of @REREPLACE for single strings or TPIPE for entire files.

By the way, I think Vince's RE syntax should be "\s+" not " *". The star means zero or more. The plus means one or more. I have no idea how it works. I tried passing in a string with no spaces and it didn't replace anything.

Back