Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD Reboot doesn't shutdown or restart

WAD - Microsoft changed the APIs so they will only work in an elevated session.
I don't have Windows 10. Can either (restart/shutdown) be done from Explorer? Is there a policy that will restore the legacy behavior?

It doesn't make sense (if I understand it correctly). Running elevated is discouraged yet it's required for the simple, and often everyday, tasks of turning the computer on and off, or just restarting it. What is the ordinary user expected to do ... Ctrl-Alt-Del?

Microsoft thinks the ordinary user should Ctrl-Alt-Del, or click on the start button and select reboot / shutdown. If you the Windows APIs changed, you should direct the requests to Microsoft. Surprisingly, they haven't provided me with either the Windows source code or the authority to approve or deny all API changes.

Strange, REBOOT works here om Win10 as a regular user...
Shutdown.exe (windows\system32) works too (/S for shutdown; /R for reboot)

@djspits : Which OS and what feedback do you get?

Microsoft thinks the ordinary user should Ctrl-Alt-Del, or click on the start button and select reboot / shutdown. If you the Windows APIs changed, you should direct the requests to Microsoft. Surprisingly, they haven't provided me with either the Windows source code or the authority to approve or deny all API changes.
Start button? ... That's explorer. So it would seem that an ordinary user can do it.

@MaartenG: I use TCC 20.00.25 x64 Windows 10 [Version 6.3.14393] Should have added that to my original post. My bad.

@Rex: My user experience with some aspect of your product has changed. Something stopped working that used to work. Do you prefer that I do not report that? Is it my use of the bug tag? What?

Shutdown.exe works. And it works without elevation.

A normal helpful answer to my original post would have been:

The REBOOT command does not work as expected under Windows 10. This is caused by a change in the Windows API. Unfortunately our compatibility tests did not catch that change before releasing our product. We have changed the documentation accordingly. We do/do not expect to be able to repair this problem at .. moment. Meanwhile, in the unfortunate event that existing code breaks because of this problem we suggest that you create the following alias:

alias REBOOT=START /ELEVATE REBOOT
-or-
alias REBOOT=%_winsysdir\shutdown.exe

This works correctly with both the /S and the /R option. In the latter case your users might note a one minute delay before the actual shutdown.

Regards, DJ.

Last edited:
I tried this at home last night; Windows 10 x64. REBOOT worked fine for me in a non-elevated TCC.

I have nothing intelligent to reply to that.

I do feel obliged to report any discrepancies between HELP and reality. I am *not* responsible for its solution.

Meanwhile I noticed that an un-elevated REBOOT does close the console (before failing to shut down or restart the machine).

If its all so simple and logical as Rex suggests then I fail to see how that could possibly be WAD. Since elevation can be tested for I would expect either an error or simply the elevation dialog.

Also, I have the Win10 developer mode ON under the Anniversary Update.
That's all I can think of, reason-wise... ;-)

I would like to take this opportunity to suggest that Rex develops a program that with the user's permission gathers relevant information about the misbehaving pc and submits it back to JPSoft. I reckon, it could be a valuable source of information in cases where a problem is difficult to reproduce. I have really good experiences with other suppliers doing that.

Regards, DJ.

Works fine for me in a regular non-elevated session (at least when I used REBOOT by itself with no switches. Haven't tested it with any switches yet).

Windows 8.1 Pro x64
TCC 20.00.25