Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

QTTabBar - adds tabbed browsing to Explorer/File Manager

Oct
I previously suggested Clover.exe to add tabbed browsing. However, the installer is completely in Chinese, it adds unrelated programs, and the uninstaller doesn't always work.

Plus, once it's installed you can't open multiple copies of Explorer. If you try to open a second copy it automatically just adds a tab.

I found QTTabBar, also free, which has a lot more flexibility and the installer, etc., is in English. It works with both Win 10 and Win 7. Once you install it, make sure you have the Explorer/File Manager menu bar visible, then right-click on an open area of the bar to set options.

The latest version is 1038, available at QTTabBar - QuizoApps

One of the neat things about it is it adds a significant additional previewing capability. For instance, if you hover over an .mp4 is starts showing the video in a thumbnail-size popup. In the files section of explorer if you hover over a subfolder a drop-down appears listing the files in the subfolder.

Playing catchup here:
I previously suggested Clover.exe to add tabbed browsing. However, the installer is completely in Chinese, it adds unrelated programs, and the uninstaller doesn't always work.
I haven't had those problems here.

Plus, once it's installed you can't open multiple copies of Explorer. If you try to open a second copy it automatically just adds a tab.
Actually, you can, though it's not obvious. If you want to open something in a new window, add it as a tab, then drag the tab to your desktop the way you would in a browser. Presto! Two Explorer windows!

I generally want stuff to open in new tabs in Windows Explorer, but can mek something open in a windows if needed.
________
Dennis

Back