Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Put logic into an alias...

May
I'm keeping this simple to start. Is there any way to do "If(somecondition,dosomething,dosomethingelse)" in an alias?

Hi Mathew,

Code:
(system)  C:\TEMP >%@if[%_dow eq Thu,echo have a nice weekend,echo day of week is: %_dow]
day of week is: Fri

(system)  C:\TEMP >%@if[%_dow eq Fri,echo have a nice weekend,echo day of week is: %_dow]
have a nice weekend

Frank, I must have done something wrong (I'm half blind), but @If didn't work for me. So extending it a little bit: can you code the "true" and "false" clauses as a sequence of commands?

I have many aliases structured thusly:
alias reciprocal=`iff %1 NE 0 then %+ echo %@eval[ 1 / %1] %+ else %+ echo 0 has no reciprocal %+ endiff`

The advantage over @IF is that only the desired branch is executed, the "false" branch can contain expressions causing failure.

Thank you Steve; somehow I had the idea that IFF couldn't be used in an alias the way you are using it. I obviously should have tried it before making that assumption.

I'm keeping this simple to start. Is there any way to do "If(somecondition,dosomething,dosomethingelse)" in an alias?
Code:
v:\> alias zz `%@if[%q==1,echo foo,echo bar]`

v:\> set q=1

v:\> zz
foo

v:\> set q=2

bar

Code:
v:\> alias zz `if %q==1 (echo foo) else (echo bar)`

v:\> set q=1