Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PROMT command in TCSTART.BTM

Aug
I'm running v10 on a Windows 7 machine. (Running 64-bit Windows 7.) I have the following command in my TCSTART.BTM:

PROMPT $z-$P$_===$g

I launch 4nt through a shortcut on my desktop. (I use 4NT.exe, not TCC.exe) My prompt correctly indicates that I am at shell 0. Hoever, if I type 4nt at the command prompt, the PROMPT still says shell #0. I know I am in a nested shell though, because it takes me two "exit"s to close the window.

Any ideas? (_shell seems to always be 0).
Thanks.

Greg

I'm running v10 on a Windows 7 machine. (Running 64-bit Windows 7.) I have the following command in my TCSTART.BTM:

PROMPT $z-$P$_===$g

I launch 4nt through a shortcut on my desktop. (I use 4NT.exe, not TCC.exe) My prompt correctly indicates that I am at shell 0. Hoever, if I type 4nt at the command prompt, the PROMPT still says shell #0. I know I am in a nested shell though, because it takes me two "exit"s to close the window.

Any ideas? (_shell seems to always be 0).

Use TCC.EXE instead -- %_SHELL depends on finding a parent TCC.EXE process. (4NT.EXE is a copy of TCC.EXE, so everything else will behave the same.)

Use TCC.EXE instead -- %_SHELL depends on finding a parent TCC.EXE process. (4NT.EXE is a copy of TCC.EXE, so everything else will behave the same.)

Thanks Rex. So, what's the best way to solve this, given that I want use 4NT, and not TCC. (I'm a long-time 4NT purist. :))

Anyway, I tried launching my 4nt window, and then executing a series of "TCC" commands to create nested TCC shells. Again, I do not see the correct shell number incrementing from the PROMPT $z command. I was expecting this to increment with successive TCC commands.

So, basically two questions: 1. What's the cleanest way to solve this with "4NT" as my main command interface? 2. Why does my test with TCC also fail?

Additional info:
Comspec=<My_Path><MY_PATH>4nt.exe

Thanks again. Great tool!

Greg

On Mon, 12 Oct 2009 22:52:58 -0500, Greg Wells <> wrote:

|So, basically two questions: 1. What's the cleanest way to solve this with "4NT" as my main command interface? 2. Why does my test with TCC also fail?

If a 4nt.exe starts a tcc.exe, you won't get a new shell number (as Rex said,
tcc looks for a tcc parent). But if from the new tcc, you start another new tcc
you will get a new shell number (because the parent tcc was found).

The solution: always use tcc (it's the same program).

It **is** the new name of the (good old) product.
--
- Vince