Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with TC 13 x64

Mar
I just upgraded to TCMD 13 from v10. I tried to install over my TCMD 10 folder, and I found that I was unable to enter the registration information in the x64 version. I always got an app-crash, application has stopped working. I was finally able to register by uninstalling the x64 version, installing the 32-bit version and registering it, then uninstalling the 32-bit version and installing the 64-bit version again. That gave me a registered version with the right information in the registry.

One question this raises for me is what is the "correct" version to install on Win 7 x64? I don't make use of TCL, in fact I only run batch scripts in TCMD "language". Is this like Word 2010, where there is a 64-bit version but even the vendor says most people should install 32-bit, or is it best to install the 64-bit version?

Use the 64 bit version on 64 bit Windows. Are you saying you tried to install into the version 10 folder without uninstalling version 10?

Use the 64 bit version on 64 bit Windows. Are you saying you tried to install into the version 10 folder without uninstalling version 10?

OK, so I have 64-bit Windows. The first time around (on my desktop) installed over TCMD 10 without removing (install is located in C:\TCMD). On my second machine (a notebook) I tried to do a clear install. Had not installed TCMD previously on that machine. TCMD 13 32-bit installs and registers fine, but although the 64-bit version will install it cannot register itself.

Do you mean you installed the 32 bit, then tried to install the 64 bit on top of it or without uninstalling the 32 bit? If so, try uninstalling, then installing the 64 bit. Once you do that, when you try to register, what happens?

Do you mean you installed the 32 bit, then tried to install the 64 bit on top of it or without uninstalling the 32 bit? If so, try uninstalling, then installing the 64 bit. Once you do that, when you try to register, what happens?

My first message was clear that I was able to register only by uninstalling 64-bit, installing 32-bit, uninstalling 32-bit, and finally installing 64-bit. In oter words I could get the 32-bit to register (at which point it carried over to the 64-bit version). Te 64-bit version failed to accept my registration information and crashed every time. I thought it might be useful for the support folks to know. I have it registered on my systems now successfully.

I just upgraded to TCMD 13 from v10. I tried to install over my TCMD 10 folder, and I found that I was unable to enter the registration information in the x64 version. I always got an app-crash, application has stopped working. I was finally able to register by uninstalling the x64 version, installing the 32-bit version and registering it, then uninstalling the 32-bit version and installing the 64-bit version again. That gave me a registered version with the right information in the registry.

The problem with registering Take Command x64 (a broken third-party dll) has been fixed in the current version of Take Command x64 (13.03.37, already uploaded).

ne question this raises for me is what is the "correct" version to install on Win 7 x64? I don't make use of TCL, in fact I only run batch scripts in TCMD "language". Is this like Word 2010, where there is a 64-bit version but even the vendor says most people should install 32-bit, or is it best to install the 64-bit version?

You should always install the 64-bit version. Otherwise, Windows will "helpfully" hide all of the 64-bit applications from you, and silently redirect your directory and registry reads & writes to mysterious places.

The problem with registering Take Command x64 (a broken third-party dll) has been fixed in the current version of Take Command x64 (13.03.37, already.

Ah, you mean the version you uploaded earlier on 1/1? Thanks for fixing it. That's why I filed the report, so you could find the cause and fix it.

Since I got TCMD registered via the 32-bit method, is there any reason for me to install 13.03.37? Does it fix anything else? I assume I can just install over the current install?

Thanks for the quick fix on New Year's day!!

Gary

Ah, you mean the version you uploaded earlier on 1/1? Thanks for fixing it. That's why I filed the report, so you could find the cause and fix it.

Since I got TCMD registered via the 32-bit method, is there any reason for me to install 13.03.37? Does it fix anything else? I assume I can just install over the current install?

There's one other fix for HTTP copies that had the same bug in ipworks8.dll, so it's not a bad idea to get build 37. You can install over the current install.