Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem with "list"

Jun
Whenever I use the "list" command, my mouse cursor becomes extremely sluggish. Exiting the reader with ESC returns the mouse to normal.

Is anybody else seeing this?

I'm running Windows 10 Build 1703.

LIST has been obsolete (and deprecated) for several years. Microsoft has made some API changes that are causing issues with LIST, but we do not intend to update LIST to support the changes.

Please use VIEW instead; it is the (only) supported file viewer in Take Command / TCC.

I have the latest version of Cygwin installed on my system, which allows me to use the less command.

Here is a MANual page for less.

As Microsoft limits what TCC can do, you may find that less is more versatile than list.

Joe

LIST has been obsolete (and deprecated) for several years. Microsoft has made some API changes that are causing issues with LIST, but we do not intend to update LIST to support the changes.

Please use VIEW instead; it is the (only) supported file viewer in Take Command / TCC.

Uh, wow. How exactly are we supposed to know that? Even v21's help says nothing of that, it only has the standard line in LIST that says "See VIEW for an updated and enhanced LIST replacement." Nothing about it being obsolete, deprecated, or unsupported.

And, I realize there may be nothing to be done about it, but I for one hate that. I use TCC not TCMD because I want a text console, and I use LIST for the same reason.

I'm officially depressed. I now need a good stiff glass of tea. Or chocolate.

I'd like to second that. I can use 'less' using Linux Subsystem and it's much more powerful than 'LIST' and works on Windows today. I'm not sure what limitations you speak off. As @vr8ce says, the point is to stay in the console, not launch another app.

Uh, wow. How exactly are we supposed to know that? Even v21's help says nothing of that, it only has the standard line in LIST that says "See VIEW for an updated and enhanced LIST replacement." Nothing about it being obsolete, deprecated, or unsupported.

That was announced back in v13, when VIEW was introduced. LIST hasn't been enhanced since (and won't be in the future).

There is a difference between not being enhanced and existing features stopping working. I use LIST when I want to see what is in a text file and see it in the current window. I can always start my text editor from the command line, but doing so pops up a whole new window, which means I may have to move/resize it to see what I've been working on. (And "VIEW /W" doesn't work with focus-follows-mouse.) The less command from cygwin is OK, but the scroll wheel doesn't work with it.

An alias or option for VIEW that would make it pop up over the current TCC window or TC tab would probably solve my usability problems. It doesn't need to be forced to stay there.