Problem with FixNames plugin

Apr 2, 2011
North Carolina, USA
I have the following files:

==== begin paste
==== end paste

When I do fixnames /s *.* it doesn't fix any of these. What can I do please to fix &, ( and ), to _'s and =?? to their correct ascii charachters please?

just for interest - where do you get such horrible filenames from?

When I do fixnames /s *.* it doesn't fix any of these. What can I do please to fix &, ( and ), to _'s and =?? to their correct ascii charachters please?

It's not intended to; you can manipulate all of those characters easily in TCC. FixNames just replaces characters which you can't handle easily: percent signs, grave accents, carets....

I could add an option to decode =XX easily enough, but it would have to be an option and default to off. Sometimes a cigar is only a cigar....
Okay, I've put up a new build here: FixNames plugin

This one decodes =XX pairs when you specify /E. I've also added Windows-1252 support; if the decoded character is in the range 0x80 to 0x9f, you'll get a printable character instead of a C1 control char.

prompt> fixnames /E /N /s *.*

would adding to the Grand Total line something like:

"n files in x folders would be renamed."

then a similar line in each folder be possible please?
Would it be too much trouble to have a switch to override "When a filename contains a percent sign followed by two hexadecimal digits, the trio is treated as an encoded character"? It would introduce an either/or condition for when you want %20 to become a space too, but sometimes brute force is a good thing.

I got your homage to Herr Freud. Nice.
Sorry for the confusion. My interest is in a switch to not expand any %xx at all - perhaps treat the percent sign the same way as when it's followed by spaces.

PS and two spaces [% ].txt
PS and two spaces [_ ].txt

The "%20, either/or" connection in my last entry is that if FIXNAMES does "not expand any %xx at all" and there are legitimate %xx combinations (0x80 to 0x9f) and "rogue" combinations (>0x9F), it won't be possible to BOTH convert the legitimate ones AND just change the percent sign for the rogue ones. However, for the sake of the intention of the plugin, that would be preferred over creating characters like õ as happened once to me. More refinement than that would be nice, but not necessary.

Similar threads