Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Problem navigating folder view

Aug
Hi!

A question about navigating the folder view with the arrows:

I'm traveling the C:/ folder with the down arrow key. Now instead of passing each sibling folder, the subfolders open automatically and the whole subhierarchy will be visited.

Essentially this makes it impossible to navigate the folder tree efficiently by keys. I'd have expected that subfolders should be opened/closed with the right/left arrow.

Is there an option somewhere? Otherwise I'd suggest to change this behaviour (or at least make it optional).

Thanks,
Hans-Peter

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:20:15 -0400, chappi <> wrote:

|A question about navigating the folder view with the arrows:
|
|I'm traveling the C:/ folder with the down arrow key. Now instead of passing each sibling folder, the subfolders open automatically and the whole subhierarchy will be visited.
|
|Essentially this makes it impossible to navigate the folder tree efficiently by keys. I'd have expected that subfolders should be opened/closed with the right/left arrow.
|
|Is there an option somewhere? Otherwise I'd suggest to change this behaviour (or at least make it optional).

It does seem rather awkward. If you [Down] to a folder, it expands (that's the
awkward part).
will make it un-expand. And after that, [Down] will go
to its next sibling.​

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 11:20:15 -0400, chappi <> wrote:
|Is there an option somewhere? Otherwise I'd suggest to change this behaviour (or at least make it optional).

It does seem rather awkward. If you [Down] to a folder, it expands (that's the
awkward part).
will make it un-expand. And after that, [Down] will go
to its next sibling.​

Thanks a lot, this is a good workaround!

(will suggest to change original behaviour in the jpsoft feedback page, seems super awkward & anti-intuitive to me).

Cheers,
Hans-Peter​

> I'm traveling the C:/ folder with the down arrow key. Now instead
> of passing each sibling folder, the subfolders open automatically
> and the whole subhierarchy will be visited.

This is normal Windows behavior (for the tree control), not Take Command.
It *might* be possible for Take Command to subclass the control and override
the default Windows behavior; I'll have to look into that.

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 13:05:25 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote---
|> I'm traveling the C:/ folder with the down arrow key. Now instead
|> of passing each sibling folder, the subfolders open automatically
|> and the whole subhierarchy will be visited.
|---End Quote---
|This is normal Windows behavior (for the tree control), not Take Command.
|It *might* be possible for Take Command to subclass the control and override
|the default Windows behavior; I'll have to look into that.

That doesn't happen in *any* other tree control I can find, including Explorer,
Win7's EventViewer or Tasks tree, any tree control in an MSC applet, CuteFTP,
ProcessExplorer, Spy++. I'm looking for more tree controls to test; it sure
doesn't look like normal behavior. Does anyone know another that acts that way?

This is normal Windows behavior (for the tree control), not Take Command.
It *might* be possible for Take Command to subclass the control and override
the default Windows behavior; I'll have to look into that.

It would be great, if you can look into this.

While the lowlevel control behaviour might be standard, it is certainly not standard for the 'user-experience' (as further described by vefatica). Another 'annoyance' happens when one traverses a CD drive: it opens and afaics there is no way to prevent this.

This said, the tree 'issue' is a minor thing for me. I am so happy I finally found a good console for the cygwin bash on windows!

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, chappi <> wrote:

> I am so happy I finally found a good console for the cygwin bash on windows!

If what you want is a console window in which to run Cygwin bash,
there are other alternatives as well. I was running bash in Cygwin
rxvt, but have recently started using Mintty instead. Mintty is based
on the PuTTY telnet client, and essentially rips out the telnet/ssh
stuff leaving only the console window portion. It's available through
Cygwin setup. you can also get the source and a MinGW build from
Google Code: http://code.google.com/p/mintty/

Another option is Console, an open source tabbed console program.
It's purely a console manager that allows you to have multiple
consoles running in a tabbed interface. Console is here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/console/
_____
Dennis

If what you want is a console window in which to run Cygwin bash,
there are other alternatives as well.

[snip Mintty/console2)

Thanks for your suggestions. Console2 is quite ok. Later on I was using Terminator, a nice but rather slow Java program which happened to break with the latest cygwin releases.

I settled now on TC/LE and like it.

(other than some rather minor mostly UI complaints, e.g.
* shortcuts could have been assigned (alt+c, alt+v etc. for copy paste). Why do I need to do this work?
* Strg+tab has a nice switch dialog, however it is really non-standard: strg+tab and strg+shift+tab normally just switch tabs (and there should be an option to select between 'recently used (stack)' tab switching and 'physical switching'.
* I want to *hide* the menu toolbar! And hide/unhide all toolbars by shortcuts.
* Settings should have an "Explorer-Integration" register. Why do I need to bother with a *.btm file (never heard before and why do I need to waste time to google for it?)
* tree navigation (made a sep. thread for this)
* Unsure about the ctrl+tab switch dialog. I think I'd prefer shortcuts to directly jump to e.g. the folder, the list view, the terminal, command input. And tab switching should be separate
* I'd have preferred a version without the TCC baggage)

Cheers,
Hans-Peter

I settled now on TC/LE and like it.

(other than some rather minor mostly UI complaints, e.g.
* shortcuts could have been assigned (alt+c, alt+v etc. for copy paste). Why do I need to do this work?

Because some console apps want those keys for themselves, so TCMD can't (at least not by default) intercept them (and not pass them on).

* Strg+tab has a nice switch dialog, however it is really non-standard: strg+tab and strg+shift+tab normally just switch tabs (and there should be an option to select between 'recently used (stack)' tab switching and 'physical switching'.

I don't know what you're referring to with "Strg+tab".

The tab switching is standard Windows behavior. (Try it in something like Visual Studio.)

* I want to *hide* the menu toolbar! And hide/unhide all toolbars by shortcuts.

IMO hiding the menu would be a fiasco, as people would hide it without thinking about how they're going to *unhide* it. (And it would also require reformatting the display for a different screen size, which will break a LOT of console apps.)

You can always undock the menu & move it out of the way.

* Settings should have an "Explorer-Integration" register. Why do I need to bother with a *.btm file (never heard before and why do I need to waste time to google for it?)

TCMD used to do that automatically, and I got a lot of complaints from people who did not want the Explorer integration. I made it optional in the installer, and got more complaints from people who did not want to see it in the installer, or who did not understand what it was. So I removed it from the installer and provided the option in a batch file.

* Unsure about the ctrl+tab switch dialog. I think I'd prefer shortcuts to directly jump to e.g. the folder, the list view, the terminal, command input. And tab switching should be separate

Tab switching is available separately (Alt-left and Alt-right).

* I'd have preferred a version without the TCC baggage)

Not sure what you mean by "baggage". At any rate, most TCMD/LE users *want* TCC/LE. (You're the first person in the last 5+ years to request TCMD/LE without TCC.)