Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Press on another Window

Sep
In the Take Command window issue a long command like dir /s /b and whilst the information is scrolling, press a key in another application (in my case a Java application) and the TC stops updating until the button is release. The same does not happen with TCC LE or 4NT. Any ideas?

I couldn't get it to happen when I pressed a key (tried notepad and CMD as other windows). But TCMD's output is suspended when I hold the left mouse button down (anywhere).

My "stupid" mistake. I did not mean a keyboard key, I meant a Java Button which represents a key. (that was dumb of me). So we see the same anyway ie. left mouse button down. Do you see it works fine in TCC?

Yes, it's OK in TCC. I also tried ProcessMonitor, a continually-updating GUI app. It was not affected by holding a mouse button down.

TCC is a console app and doesn't support Windows messages. If it *could* do it, I'd do it there too.
You lost me! If there's output in progress in a TCMD tab and the user holds down the left mouse button in some other app's window (or even on the desktop) ... TCMD suspends output? That doesn't make much sense to me. Surely, TCMD can tell if the mouse is in the client area of a tab ... yes/no? I'm a little surprised that TCMD even knows that the mouse button is down when it's outside TCMD.

You lost me! If there's output in progress in a TCMD tab and the user holds down the left mouse button in some other app's window (or even on the desktop) ... TCMD suspends output? That doesn't make much sense to me. Surely, TCMD can tell if the mouse is in the client area of a tab ... yes/no? I'm a little surprised that TCMD even knows that the mouse button is down when it's outside TCMD.

If only life were as simple as everyone assures me it is ...

The problem is when you're marking text and you move the mouse slightly outside of the TCMD window (i.e., at the bottom because you want it to scroll, or off the right edge). Do you want TCMD in those instances to kill the selection, turn off marking, and resume scrolling? When you then drag the mouse back into the window you'll have a *different* start / end for your selection.

If only life were as simple as everyone assures me it is ...

The problem is when you're marking text and you move the mouse slightly outside of the TCMD window (i.e., at the bottom because you want it to scroll, or off the right edge). Do you want TCMD in those instances to kill the selection, turn off marking, and resume scrolling? When you then drag the mouse back into the window you'll have a *different* start / end for your selection.
Hmmm! I see.

1. You know when you move out of the area that the Window was being marked - like Excel
2. It surprises me that TCMD is poking its nose into Windows events when it does not have focus

1. You know when you move out of the area that the Window was being marked - like Excel
2. It surprises me that TCMD is poking its nose into Windows events when it does not have focus

You're stretching your argument with #2 - TCMD isn't "poking its nose into Windows events"; all it's doing is suspending updates while the left mouse button is down. That has no effect on any other Windows app.

And #1 only works after you've already clicked and dragged within the window. What do you want to happen if you click with the cursor on (or touching) non-client areas, borders, status bar, tab bar, etc.?

The current behavior is by design, has worked this way for many years, and the default behavior will definitely not be changed. You can submit a feature request in the suggestions forum if you want a new option that breaks existing behavior.

Your comment "stretching argument with #2". I know of no other application that listens to mouse / key events when it does not have focus. That's the meaning of focus

If you say by design then I would say poor design. I have used JPSoft products for years (1996) and just moved over to TC and no other product works this way.
I understand the issue of compatibility - so Yes if you could make it an option that would be appreciated. At the moment I can't use TC as is as I need the mouse pressed on another application to see the results on the TC window

Your comment "stretching argument with #2". I know of no other application that listens to mouse / key events when it does not have focus. That's the meaning of focus

TCMD does not listen to mouse or key events when it does not have focus. What it does do is check to see if the mouse button is down when it is updating the tab windows. This is by design, and was requested by other users. You're the first one to find this to be a problem. (Though apparently not enough of a problem to warrant a post in the Suggestions Forum?)

I don't have the source code but I think you are splitting hairs - ie. whether you listen to events or check events - the effect is the same. I cannot think of any other PC application that behaves in the same way. Anecdote. A friend of mine design the carburettor for a Chrysler car. He knew that the car would not start if parked at 4 degrees. When a user complained that his car did not start, the answer from Chrysler is that nobody else has complained about this. Just because nobody else comments - still does not mean that it is correct. I did not add as a suggestion as JPSoft think that it is correct so who am I to disagree?

Yeah, this is a bit odd.

What I would expect is that if you click on the TCMD window and then drag out, that it keeps the mouse 'grab' for the TCMD window until you release the mouse or move back into the window. But if you click outside of the TCMD window, nothing should happen within TCMD at all.

If you click outside the TCMD window, then drag into the TCMD window, you don't start selecting text anyway (at least, I haven't been able to here), so the 'feature' is a bit useless anyway. Normally selection only starts if you click inside the window.

So, I don't really see how this feature can be at all useful, other than as an unconventional way to pause the TCC output in a TCMD tab.

I'd expect that the way TCC (and CMD) work would be the right way - which is to pause the output while selection is held (even if you then drag out of the window).

Dear Mr.JPSoft
Please explain why you have implemented as is, for nobody has explained why - but you keep on saying it is by design

Pausing output on mouse click is a good idea for the selection reason mentioned. But the fact that it happens when TCMD is not the active window is absurd.

Any further update on this for actually I think the logic is backwards. Press mouse in the scrolling window and it does not stop it

Today, with v25.00.28 it seems that output in the TCMD tab will stop if and only if the left button is pressed ...

1. in any TCMD tab, or
2. in a v25 console window (not attached to TCMD).

That's a little peculiar but IIRC it's much better than it was a few months ago.

A quick test showed ...

In TCMD 24.02.51 output is suspended if the left button is pressed ANYWHERE.

In TCMD 25.00.30 and 26.02.42 output is suspended only when the left button is pressed in the TCMD window.