Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ParentDirectory does not update directory history

Jun
If I do Ctrl-Shift-Up to do ParentDirectory, the directory history is not updated. Is this a bug? It is inconvenient.
Code:
C:\>dirhistory /f

C:\>cd Junk\

C:\Junk>dirhistory
C:\

C:\Junk>
C:\>dirhistory
C:\

C:\>ver

TCC  26.02.43 x64   Windows 10 [Version 10.0.19041.630]

I have my dirhistory configured so the directory is saved upon entry. And I see the same thing. CD .. and CD - both record the new directory. Ctrl-Shift-Up does not.

Code:
v:\> 7ztest\

v:\7ztest> cd .. & dirhistory | tail /n 1
V:\

v:\7ztest> cd - & dirhistory | tail /n 1
V:\

v:\7ztest> rem now I'll press Ctrl-Shift-Up
v:\> dirhistory | tail /n 1
V:\7ztest

I can define a key alias to make it work the way I expect. It would be nice if the Help had explained this quirk. I was rather confused why my directory history was wrong.

They didn't ask for it, it isn't documented to work that way, and the "Directory History Window" Help page says, "The current directory is recorded automatically in the directory history list just before each change to a new directory or drive. ... When you switch directories, the original directory is saved in the directory history list, regardless of whether you change directories at the command line, from within a batch file, or from within an alias. However, directory changes made by external directory navigation utilities or other external programs are not recorded by TCC."

So, this is either a bug in the way it works or a bug in the documentation.