Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Output from debugger

Jun
When I run a bat file from a dos window the output shows the prompt for example:

c:\foo > echo on

When run in the debugger the prompt is omitted.

This is undesirable for me because I compare output from a debug session with a non debug run using beyond compare and it makes every line apear different.

The other issue is I use the cmd prompt while stepping through the debugger to know what the current directory is.

Hmm - that's the first time in 29 years of writing command interpreters that anybody has considered CMD's behavior of feeding the batch file lines to the command prompt a "feature"!

There's no way to do that in TCC or CMDebug, and changing their behavior to match CMD would seriously cripple them, slow batch file execution dramatically, and introduce a slew of incompatibilities.

You can post this request on the Suggestions Forum; if you get enough support from other users I'll consider it for a future release.

This is undesirable for me because I compare output from a debug session with a non debug run using beyond compare and it makes every line apear different.
I believe that with beyond compare You can specify that a part of a line is not important, and ignore those differences.

Regards

Rodolfo Giovanninetti

The prompt is useful to track script's current working directory.
If you want to make both outputs equivalent, you can unset PROMPT in the script.

When I run a bat file from a dos window the output shows the prompt for example:

c:\foo > echo on

When run in the debugger the prompt is omitted.

This is undesirable for me because I compare output from a debug session with a non debug run using beyond compare and it makes every line appear different.

The other issue is I use the cmd prompt while stepping through the debugger to know what the current directory is.
I haven't needed to use CMD in many years, so I don't understand how comparing batch debugger outputs would actual be useful. Hopefully the other two responses are helping with that.

As for tracking the CWD. Can't you just add %_cwd to the watch list, which should track the current directory as your batch file changes directories? Untested.