Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

OPTION /U

May
Is it correct that v12.01.44's OPTION /U allow upgrading to 12.10.56?

What will happen in AddRemovePrograms if one follows that route and installs on top of 12.01? Will the 12.10 entry replace the 12.01 entry? After simply installing 12.10, it is seen as distinct from 12.01.

Is it correct that v12.01.44's OPTION /U allow upgrading to 12.10.56?

Yes.

What will happen in AddRemovePrograms if one follows that route and installs on top of 12.01? Will the 12.10 entry replace the 12.01 entry?

Yes. (Though your Windows Installer setup is so screwed up I won't hazard a guess as to what it will do.)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 00:17:25 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|---Quote (Originally by vefatica)---
|Is it correct that v12.01.44's OPTION /U allow upgrading to 12.10.56?
|---End Quote---
|
|Yes.
|
|
|---Quote---
|What will happen in AddRemovePrograms if one follows that route and installs on top of 12.01? Will the 12.10 entry replace the 12.01 entry?
|---End Quote---
|
|Yes. (Though your Windows Installer setup is so screwed up I won't hazard a guess as to what it will do.)

So I ARP-removed the independently-installed 12.10 and, via OPTION /U, updated,
in-place, 12.01 to 12.10. ... no problems. The ARP entry was changed as you
said it would be.

But I still have

Code:
E:\Users\vefatica\Application Data\JP Software\Take Command 12.01

with useless stuff in it. And I collected yet another new directory in

Code:
E:\Users\vefatica\Application Data\JP Software\Take Command
12.10\install

I understand that your Windows Installer configuration is fubar, but I honestly don't know what I can do about it (or what you want me to do about it).

Have you contacted Microsoft?

Microsoft would probably suggest running MSICUU2 ... which they no longer provide or support. (The left hand doesn't know that there is a right hand.)

On Wed, 23 Mar 2011 11:06:47 -0400, rconn <> wrote:

|I understand that your Windows Installer configuration is fubar, but I honestly don't know what I can do about it (or what you want me to do about it).
|
|Have you contacted Microsoft?

I don't know why you say that. I have no installer problems other than those
associated with TC. And I have several apps which are updated regularly. What
about other users? Do they still have a 12.01 tree in AppData (along side the
12.10 tree) after upgrading to 12.10? And among the beta testers ... are they
accumulating outdated "install" directories, each containing an MSI file, and
most with no mention in the registry?

I don't know why you say that. I have no installer problems other than those associated with TC. And I have several apps which are updated regularly. What about other users?

I don't know about other users, but

1) Nobody else is reporting it;

2) I don't see it on my system, and

3) I couldn't do anything about it anyway, as it would be happening inside the Windows Installer and there are NO options available to me to control this.

Some of what you're seeing is probably normal behavior if the "repair" option is enabled in the installer. (The installer has to keep the files *somewhere* in order to do a repair.)

Are you doing all of your installations to different directories?