Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Older TCC/LE versions?

Sep
I hope this is the appropriate section for this.

I wanted to install TCC/LE on Linux with Wine, so I can workaround a bug with it, but the installer was unable to continue to the last page where one should click "Install". I could install the v12 full version, however I couldn't find older LE version. I wanted to check the FTP servers for it since as I remembered, it had older LE versions, but I've learned that the FTP server is down for quite some time, as well as why it is down.
Does JPSoftware (not) provide earlier LE versions (possibly on-demand), and/or is there an official way to acquire older versions of LE?
I was creating (Bash shell) scripts that I hoped to share it on my home page, and before that I want to know what does it require if I would depend on Take Command.

On the other hand does a registration key works with earlier versions of Take Command/4NT?

Is that considered to be the approved JPSoft way to acquire older versions of LE?

I don't speak for JP Software. Nor for Klaus, for that matter. 4dos.info is just a site that I happen to know about, and if Klaus can fix those links, then that might be a solution for you.

It might also be possible to dredge up older versions via the Wayback Machine. I haven't tried that.

I don't speak for JP Software. Nor for Klaus, for that matter. 4dos.info is just a site that I happen to know about, and if Klaus can fix those links, then that might be a solution for you.

It might also be possible to dredge up older versions via the Wayback Machine. I haven't tried that.

Oh, ok. I was able to get hold of an older version for LE, I was just looking for ways to offer tcc versions. Maybe a script as well to download one that can be installed with Wine. It would be a problem if I would share that copy on my homepage as the latest version that can be used with Wine ATM? (Not sure if I really want that though.)

Last edited:
I wanted to install TCC/LE on Linux with Wine, so I can workaround a bug with it, but the installer was unable to continue to the last page where one should click "Install".

The only versions that I could get to install in Wine using the included installer, that is, simply running the JPSoft .EXE, (for example, 4nt802.exe), are 4nt8 and earlier.

If you want to install tcc/le, or a version later than 4nt8, you will have to use either msiexec or 7zip to extract the files from the installer, and run the install manually.

Even after getting versions later than 4nt8 successfully installed in Wine, there are problems in the Wine code that have yet to be worked out. However, if you do get a version later than 4nt8 working under Wine, please share how you do it.

Joe

The only versions that I could get to install in Wine using the included installer, that is, simply running the JPSoft .EXE, (for example, 4nt802.exe), are 4nt8 and earlier.
On which version of wine? The second latest version of (dev!) wine as of now (it is 1.7.26 as of now) Can run the installer from start to end for TCC 12.11, both LE and full version.

If you want to install tcc/le, or a version later than 4nt8, you will have to use either msiexec or 7zip to extract the files from the installer, and run the install manually.
That doesn't work for THE latest installer, as it it's neither an msi nor a compressed file, if I recall it correctly.

Even after getting versions later than 4nt8 successfully installed in Wine, there are problems in the Wine code that have yet to be worked out. However, if you do get a version later than 4nt8 working under Wine, please share how you do it.
12.11 though works for most recent Wine, but far from flawless: if you start notepad from tcc for example, and then quit, the tcc Wine process crashes. Possible workaround for that is to run the command with "cmd /c" or maybe with "start".

However, while I'm glad to share my experience and what I've found, keep in mind, that my question isn't exactly about running TCC in Wine, I was only explained why I'm interested in earlier versions.

Also, the pre-10 versions might work better - the versions before those versions that are not supported on pre-Windows XP - but I didn't tried those.

Hope that helps you.

Last edited:
Well, Klaus Meinhard's site at http://www.4dos.info/v4nt.htm claims to have several older versions on tap. But none of the links work for me....

Klaus, are you still around?

Yes, now and then... :-)

I had updated my site the other day and added the older TCC/LE versions plus TCMD versions, and somethiong seems to have gone wrong. I'll fix this asap, probably tomorrow.

You can never do enough testing ;-)

Best regards,

Klaus

I am running wine-1.6.2, so I will look into upgrading to 1.7.26 (or latest).

4NT 3.0 and Take Command/32 2.0 work great in wine-1.6.2, but I run them in a Windows 95 bottle.

What Windows bottle do you run TCC/LE in?

Joe

My Linux just updated my Wine to 1.7.27, and it still crashes in that version.
What Windows bottle do you run TCC/LE in?
I don't use bottles (I can't recall it right now what uses bottles) but my Wine environment is set up to simulate a 32-bit Windows XP.

Architecture can be configured with the WINEARCH environment variable and initialize the WINEPREFIX with wineboot, but since you're using bottles, I believe this is irrelevant for you.

Wow, silly me! I've just thought, that I possibly can run the installer quietly from command line. "tccle.exe /?" provides some hint on how to, and also have an extract feature listed there. I can't see a silent install feature there though.

TCC 13 seems to be working just as well as v12.11.

Edit PS.: Changing the version number in the URL also seem to downloads something.