Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

New Install; Everything setup issues

I just installed TCMD 19.2.38 for the first time on a 32-bit Windows 7 machine and I'm having trouble getting Everything searches to work right. When I did the install I chose the option for Everything service. My understanding was that this should allow me to do things like Everything /o and /E from a normal TCC session but I got a UAC prompt when I tried to do either of those. I also got a UAC prompt if I tried to start Everything from a desktop shortcut. I eventually got into the options and enabled indexing on the drives I wanted but now my problem is that I can't get Everything to start automatically when I boot. I tried selecting the option to have it start automatically on system startup but that caused a UAC prompt asking if I wanted to allow TCMD to make changes to my system whenever I booted. So I disabled that option but now I have to manually start Everything from an elevated TCC session before I can use it for anything and there is no system tray item for it until I do that. What are the proper settings and file locations to get it to start automatically and to get things like /E and /O to work from a normal (not elevated TCC session?

-- Howard

I had this problem too. Maybe you had selected while installation and/or later "run as admin" or something like that. However, after this selection this "effect" was active.

My solution was (if I remember correctly):

1) Deinstallation of Take Command
2) Remove all Everything Files in AppData Roaming & Local Directories (User AND Admin)
3) Remove all Take Command in AppData Roaming & Local Directories (User AND Admin)
-> This step 3 SHOULD be OPTIONAL and not really necessary
4) Reboot PC
5) Reinstall of Take Command as User: selected "Running as Service" (or something like that, however SERVICE is the important word here) while installation.
6) Quit Everything via Tray Icon (because was (probably) an elevated process through installation)
7) Start Everything as User (Restricted/Limited Account) via TCC/TCMD and "everything /e": answered the following prompt with "Running as Service" (or something like that, however SERVICE is the important word here).
8) Reboot PC

After all the steps all was okay again ...

Hope it helps!

I had this problem too. Maybe you had selected while installation and/or later "run as admin" or something like that. However, after this selection this "effect" was active.

My solution was (if I remember correctly):

1) Deinstallation of Take Command
2) Remove all Everything Files in AppData Roaming & Local Directories (User AND Admin)
3) Remove all Take Command in AppData Roaming & Local Directories (User AND Admin)
-> This step 3 SHOULD be OPTIONAL and not really necessary
4) Reboot PC
5) Reinstall of Take Command as User: selected "Running as Service" (or something like that, however SERVICE is the important word here) while installation.
6) Quit Everything via Tray Icon (because was (probably) an elevated process through installation)
7) Start Everything as User (Restricted/Limited Account) via TCC/TCMD and "everything /e": answered the following prompt with "Running as Service" (or something like that, however SERVICE is the important word here).
8) Reboot PC

After all the steps all was okay again ...

Hope it helps!
I have already tried reinstalling, and I definitely chose the "service" option for Everything during the install. All the Everything files ended up in TCMD's program directory, "program files\jpsoft\tcmd19". I will play with it some more. Thanks.

At least here was a MUST to remove the everything.ini - de- and reinstall alone was not successful - even not with select as service while install!

At least here was a MUST to remove the everything.ini - de- and reinstall alone was not successful - even not with select as service while install!
Right. I deleted all the Everything files and most definitely Everything.ini after the uninstall. After installing again there was a new Everything.ini in the TCMD19 program directory and it was a little smaller than the one I had deleted. The only way I could get Everything started was to respond "yes" to the UAC prompt just as before.

-- Howard

Is the Everything service running? If not, get it running ... kill other instances of everything.exe ... go to TCMD home directory and execute, as an ordinary user,
Code:
everything.exe -startup

I haven't messed with Everything in a while but if I recall correctly
1. TCMD install (with the service) leaves the client running elevated, which doesn't work well (as I think Alpengreis pointed out)
2. TCC doesn't automatically start the client

Right. I deleted all the Everything files and most definitely Everything.ini after the uninstall. After installing again there was a new Everything.ini in the TCMD19 program directory and it was a little smaller than the one I had deleted. The only way I could get Everything started was to respond "yes" to the UAC prompt just as before.

-- Howard
ONCE UAC prompt as User after (re)install or update (after first "everything /e" as User) seems normal.

Is the Everything service running? If not, get it running ... kill other instances of everything.exe ... go to TCMD home directory and execute, as an ordinary user,
Code:
everything.exe -startup

I haven't messed with Everything in a while but if I recall correctly
1. TCMD install (with the service) leaves the client running elevated, which doesn't work well (as I think Alpengreis pointed out)
2. TCC doesn't automatically start the client
Thanks. I got it working now. The trick was to uncheck "Run as administrator" in the options. I also checked the "run at startup" option and it's working exactly as I want now.

-- Howard

Should both "Everything Service" and "Start Everything on system startup" be checked and "Run as administrator" be unchecked?