Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Multi Monitor Tool

Aug
I was looking for a way to move applications from one monitor to the other on my two-monitor Vista system, via the command line. I came across MultiMonitorTool (http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/multi_monitor_tool.html)

One task that I perform several times a day is to move FireFox between monitors. I can now do this from the command line;

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Next Process "firefox.exe"

While there are several command line options, I find that /MoveWindow is the one that I use most frequently. Other /MoveWindow examples (from the Help file);

Move all windows located on all monitors to the primary monitor: (The <From Monitor> parameter is omitted, so windows are moved from all monitors)

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Primary All

Move all windows of Internet Explorer to the primary monitor:

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Primary Process "iexplore.exe"

Move all windows that their title contains the 'Hello World' string to '\\.\DISPLAY2' monitor:

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow 2 Title "Hello World"

Move all windows of Windows Explorer (with 'CabinetWClass' window class) to '\\.\DISPLAY3' monitor:

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow 3 Class "CabinetWClass"

Move all windows from '\\.\DISPLAY3' monitor to '\\.\DISPLAY2' monitor:

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow 2 All 3

Move all windows of Firefox to the next monitor, and set their position to (10, 10), relatively to the target monitor.

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Next Process "firefox.exe" /WindowLeft 10 /WindowTop 10

Move all windows of Firefox to the next monitor, and set their width to (600, 400).

Code:
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Next Process "firefox.exe" /WindowWidth 600 /WindowHeight 400

Joe

I'm not sure if this is Vista or just Win 7/8, but try the hotkey:

WindowsKey + Shift + left arrow (or right arrow) to move windows between monitors.

Naturally this is not a programmatic way to do it, but thought I would share....

Fross

I'm not sure if this is Vista or just Win 7/8, but try the hotkey:

WindowsKey + Shift + left arrow (or right arrow) to move windows between monitors.

Naturally this is not a programmatic way to do it, but thought I would share....

Fross

Google tells me that this hotkey combination does not work in Vista. Just in the event that Google was incorrect, I tried it on my Vista system. Nope, it does not work.

The command line method is what I needed, though. I normally have FireFox on my larger monitor, but when I want to watch a DVD, I had to use the mouse to move FireFox from my larger monitor to my smaller monitor, then press the button on the front of my desktop system to eject the CD/DVD tray, put the DVD into the tray, push the tray back in, and go from there. Here is the batch file that I have created to do this;

Code:
@setlocal
@echo off
MultiMonitorTool.exe /MoveWindow Next Process "firefox.exe"
ejectmedia d:
activate "*Mozilla FireFox"
endlocal

Well, the batch file does not push the tray in. I supposed that I could put in a PAUSE, and use LOADMEDIA to close the drive, but there are some things that I still like to do manually.

When I am finished watching the DVD, I run the batch file again, which moves FireFox back to the larger monitor, and opens the CD/DVD tray.

Regardless, thankyou for sharing that keyboard shortcut.

Joe

I don't suppose you know if there's a param for focused_window that can be used with a shortcutkeycombo?

Alternatively, is there a via-(parent)app-'name' option, re handles, or app-window-type ?

Z8jyajc.png

l9gRiki.png

cRr24mK.png

I don't suppose you know if there's a param for focused_window that can be used with a shortcutkeycombo?
I'm not sure if this is what you're asking, but my SYSUTILS plugin has
Code:
@FGWIN[TCPMXYWH] = word list of spec'd foreground window properties
Options: Title, Class, Pid, Module, X(pos), Y(pos), Width, Height
I don't know if it would help. Invoking TCC to evaluate it might steal the foreground.

Back