Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Multi-column DIR /v not displaying all files.

Jul
If I use,
Code:
*DIR /Nfv /2 /v /p /a-d *
and then answer the paging prompt with A, the directory display is terminated.
Without the /v all is well.
Continuing the DIR display by answering the paging prompt with say <CR> results in a complete listing.
Using /4 yields a 3 col. display.
Using /3 with or without /v causes a "parameter is incorrect...." error.
Note: I do not have any plugins loaded.

Code:
*DIR /Nfv /2 /v /p /a-d c:\Windows\System32\

works here. When I press 'A', paging is turned off and the DIR listing is completed.

I don't think "/3" is valid.

WAD - the page output for /V is determined by the page size (that you set when you specified /P). There's no way that DIR can continue the /V formatted display in an unpaged format.

/4 isn't guaranteed to produce 4 columns - it will display 4 columns if the width of the longest filename * 4 is less than the screen width. You evidently have at least one filename that exceeds that limit.

There is no /3 option.

"WAD - the page output for /V is determined by the page size (that you set when you specified /P). There's no way that DIR can continue the /V formatted display in an unpaged format."

"the page size (that you set when you specified /P)" - Where is this page size set?

So is it worth either changing the /p prompt to not allow a continue without paging (A) with /V or just discontinuing the /v allowing the rest of the dir to be displayed after choosing A? The help file could be clearer, not that I always review them. :oops:

"/4 isn't guaranteed to produce 4 columns - it will display 4 columns if the width of the longest filename * 4 is less than the screen width. You evidently have at least one filename that exceeds that limit."

Yes, thanks to, I believe, MS updates.

"There is no /3 option."
Yep. I didn't resort to reading docs before I tried and posted that one.

Thanks for the answers.

It is worth using /1 exclusively. Less ambiguity, easier to read.
I do use a single column display the majority of the time.
However there are times that multiple column is useful. They meet a need.
This thread was started due to one of those times.