Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

lua Causes Take Command Tab to Exit

Jun
I'm running the latest version of Take Command (v18.00.24 x64) on a completely patched and up-to-date Windows 8.1 machine. From a TCC tabbed window, the following command causes the tab window to close.

c:\> lua -v

The tabbed window behaves as if I typed the [exit] command. The simple command [lua] does the same thing.

The behavior is somewhat different from a detached tab. In this case, the TCC console freezes with

C:\...\TCMD18_x64>lua -v
Lua 5.3.0 Copyright (C) 1994-2015 Lua.org, PUC-Rio

I do not have Lua 5.3 installed on my machine so this must be the (internal) version that ships with Tak Command.

Any ideas?

thanks
rick

Hi Rex

I would add to this running naked TCC (V18) on Win7 (32bit), i was playing with this, this morning and found Lua /? displays help listing, Lua -v displays the version string (flashed on screen) then causes TCC to close immediately. I didn't note the subversion. I then checked for updates and installed V18.00.24. Retested and got same result.

Before checking here, I repeated above on TCC (V17) and got expected result for Lua V5.2.3.

John

Downloaded Take Command v18.00.25. TCC no longer closes when checking the version info but other than display the info (or a help screen), the internal lua engine can't seem to do anything. For example,

C:\...\lua>lua -e'a=1' -e 'print(a)' script.lua
Lua: unrecognized option '-e'a=1''
usage: Lua [options] [filenames]
Available options are:
-l list (use -l -l for full listing)
-o name output to file 'name' (default is "luac.out")
-p parse only
-s strip debug information
-v show version information
-- stop handling options
- stop handling options and process stdin

The command line above is taken directly from the TCC help (script.lua includes the single line: print 'Hello World').

Any ideas?

thanks
ricky

I know very little about LUA, but I dug a few commands out of an old history log and they don't seem to work with v18. Here's v16.
Code:
v:\> lua -e os.execute("echo hello")
hello
And here's v18.
Code:
g:\tc18> lua -e os.execute("echo hello")
Lua: unrecognized option '-e'
usage: Lua [options] [filenames]
Available options are:
  -l  list (use -l -l for full listing)
  -o name  output to file 'name' (default is "luac.out")
  -p  parse only
  -s  strip debug information
  -v  show version information
  --  stop handling options
  -  stop handling options and process stdin

That syntax is for Lua 5.2, not 5.3.

Partly because of the syntax changes (which are at best ill-considered and ill-understood), but mostly because the Lua developers screwed up the embedded Lua in 5.3, I've decided to drop back to 5.2 for now. When they fix the 5.3 problems I'll reassess its inclusion in TCC.