Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

LIST's pop-up search loses focus in a Windows Terminal window

First, I admit to liking Window's Terminal a lot, which I suppose makes me a disloyal customer after 30+ years of 4DOS, 4NT, etc.

When I run TCC 26.01.35 (and earlier) in a Windows Terminal tab, it works quite well. But there is an annoying behavior of LIST when, while viewing a file, I press 'F', type in a search, and hit Enter. The search does its job, but then focus is given to the console's tab rather than to the TCC window under the tab. Because of this, no further keystrokes reach TCC/LIST until I reach for the mouse, move the pointer into the TCC window, then click in it to give it focus. This has to be done after every search.

It's enough to make me wish for the old text-based feedback for LIST interaction. I've taken to using 'less' (a GNU lister) because I can work faster when hands need not leave the keyboard.

I'm not calling this a bug. Obviously, it can be blamed on other software. But it would be nice if TCC played nicely in a Windows Terminal tab.

WT bug #5348

I was vaguely hoping, against the evidence of the list help, that there was an option somewhere to tell TCC to please pretend it is only a console application. After all, sometimes it is when running through SSH.

I thought I'd take a look at this, but I can't figure out where to download Windows Terminal. Does anybody have a link?

I thought I'd take a look at this, but I can't figure out where to download Windows Terminal. Does anybody have a link?
You can get it from the Microsoft Store, just search for Windows Terminal. Use the Microsoft Store app that comes with your Windows 10.

You can also download it (and the source code) from GitHub;

Joe

The Microsoft Store thingy doesn't seem to work for me. I did finally find an installer on GitHub, but apparently Terminal is not compatible with Windows 10 version 1809. I have, therefore, lost interest.

Thanks anyway.

For those that are wondering, the minimum OS required for Microsoft Terminal is Windows 10 version 18362.0 or higher.

Microsoft Store requires Windows 10 version 16299.0 or higher.

Joe

The Microsoft Store thingy doesn't seem to work for me. I did finally find an installer on GitHub, but apparently Terminal is not compatible with Windows 10 version 1809. I have, therefore, lost interest.

Thanks anyway.
Got a link to the installer on GitHub? How do you manage to NOT update Windows 10?

Got a link to the installer on GitHub? How do you manage to NOT update Windows 10?

Scroll down the page when you get there.

Or microsoft/terminal

Joe

Got a link to the installer on GitHub?
Try here: microsoft/terminal

How do you manage to NOT update Windows 10?
I don't. I'm completely up to date. But there's an asterisk:

updated.png

Thanks, Charles. I installed it. When I try to run it all I get is a message box stating "The service has not been started".

LIST has been deprecated & obsolete for years, so it's unlikely I'm going to spend any time trying to get it to kludge around beta Windows Terminal bugs.

I am truly sorry to learn that. I used view a few times when it was first bundled with TCC, but I find that it is often faster to use list. I'll have to see if there is a good substitute. The 'less.exe' built from GNU's 'less' sources is close, and in some respects better but in pure speed and ability to look at biggish files, not as good.