Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

List View refresh

Jan
TC 12.01.44

How do I stop List View from jumping back up to the top whenever there is modification/addition/deletion of any file in the currently shown folder?

I take it from the lack of responses that there is no way to change how this works. If the original post did not properly define the problem, I would be happy to provide further clarification of the issue.

> I take it from the lack of responses that there is no way to change how
this

Windows is controlling that, not TCMD -- so no, there's no way to change it
in TCMD. Whether the window is completely redrawn (resetting the selection
back to the beginning), or whether it just redraws the current page and
keeps the selection depends on what change(s) occurred.

Rex Conn
JP Software

Windows Explorer does not do this when a file in the list is updated. I can have a Windows Explorer window open to a folder, for instance my download folder, and when files are added to the folder, the list does not jump up to the top. The new files are added to the bottom of the existing list. If a file is update, for instance server log files, the size of the existing file changes without moving the current display.

---- Original Message ----
| Windows Explorer does not do this when a file in the list is updated.
| I can have a Windows Explorer window open to a folder, for instance
| my download folder, and when files are added to the folder, the list
| does not jump up to the top. The new files are added to the bottom of
| the existing list. If a file is update, for instance server log
| files, the size of the existing file changes without moving the
| current display.

When you made the above observations, 1/ what was the sorting order selected and 2/ did display details, or filenames only?
--
Steve

Windows Explorer does not do this when a file in the list is updated. I can have a Windows Explorer window open to a folder, for instance my download folder, and when files are added to the folder, the list does not jump up to the top. The new files are added to the bottom of the existing list. If a file is update, for instance server log files, the size of the existing file changes without moving the current display.

Windows Explorer doesn't use the Windows list view control.

I could use the Windows Explorer control instead, but that would either require everybody to upgrade to Win7, or I'd have to support two (very!) different interfaces. Different enough that I'd really have to have two different versions of TCMD. (Or three, if I wanted to support Vista as well as XP and Win7.)

@Steve
Sort order is whatever the default sort order is when starting TC (appears to be Name ASC) and details are turned on (actually, I didn't know they could be turned off; must be under one of the Options menus).

@Rex
OK. So its just something I'll have to deal with, but it is quite annoying. When working in TCC, I use the List View as a reference for filenames; either dragging filenames down into TCC while building a command or just having a specific file shown when I do something in TCC like, for instance,
Code:
dir > out.txt
The most troubling example is, depending on the file, I will right click on the file to bring up the context menu to delete the file and it will jump back to the top before bringing up the context menu. The right click context menu then appears with the available options (stuff like Open, Print, Cut, Send To..., Create Shortcut, etc). I have no idea now which file I'm working with. If I don't select an option from the context menu, but instead drag down the slider to make sure I selected the correct file, NONE OF THE FILES ARE HIGHLIGHTED. Thus I don't really know for sure which one I was working with.