Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Licensing and virtual machines

Jul
Rex,

I have seen you make the following statement on more than one occasion - "A single-system license [...] allows you to install Take Command on up to three systems (such as office, home, & laptop) provided they're used by the same user and not in use at the same time other than for synchronization." - and I was wondering how virtual machines play into that definition. Does a host system with TC installed running a guest that also has TC installed count as one or two 'systems' in that statement?? Obviously it wouldn't be possible for that single user to be typing commands into both instances of TC at the same time, but it is certainly possible for both to be doing user-initiated tasks at the same time.

My main reason for asking is that I've just replaced an old 32-bit Windows XP VM, used for running the one remaining 16-bit application that I've not managed to replace/migrate from, with a 32-bit Windows 7 VM, both running under Hyper-V in a Windows 8.1 host. The old XP setup had TC/4NT v7 installed on it, for which I have a five system license from many moons back. I could install the same versions on the Windows 7 setup but it makes more sense to go with the latest and greatest for which I only have two personal licenses, currently spread across my Windows 7 gaming rig, the Windows 8.1 box and a Windows 2012 R2 Storage Server (with the latter rarely being used). The instance in the VM is unlikely to be used much in this case, and therefore it is highly unlikely that I will ever be using more than two instances at once, but as the potential for VM usage increases I am interested in whether I will need to add more licenses if I have individual computers running multiple instances of Take Command.

Cheers, Steve

Rex,

I have seen you make the following statement on more than one occasion - "A single-system license [...] allows you to install Take Command on up to three systems (such as office, home, & laptop) provided they're used by the same user and not in use at the same time other than for synchronization." - and I was wondering how virtual machines play into that definition. Does a host system with TC installed running a guest that also has TC installed count as one or two 'systems' in that statement?? Obviously it wouldn't be possible for that single user to be typing commands into both instances of TC at the same time, but it is certainly possible for both to be doing user-initiated tasks at the same time.

Registration is based on the computer name, so assuming your guest VM had a different name, it would count as two systems.

There is a workaround for that -- if you install TCMD onto a USB thumb drive, then any VM that can access the thumb drive can run TCMD without requiring additional registrations.

Back