Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Library functions and line continuations?

May
Below, it looks like the function "rv" didn't make it from file to memory correctly.
Code:
g:\tc23\library> head /n5 iprocessline.txt
rv {
echo foo ^
bar ^
done
}

g:\tc23\library> library /r iprocessline.txt /u

g:\tc23\library> library /f rv
rv {
done
}

LIBRARY /R doesn't support line continuations (it slows things down significantly).

Why would you want to do that?
Why would I want to do what ...

... slow things down significantly? ... I don't want to do that.

... use line continuations? ... because they make editing easier (especially when using TPIPE with several actions).

LIBRARY /R doesn't support line continuations (it slows things down significantly).
I did some testing and I'm not sure about the "significantly" part. Using BTMs and a rather outrageous example (one line vs. that line broken into 27 pieces, see below) I see a difference in time of about 1% (to both read it into memory and execute it). I suppose the same could be true of library functions if they allowed continued lines.
Code:
v:\> type fast.btm
1>nul echo abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
v:\> type fast2.btm
1>nul echo ^
a^
b^
c^
d^
e^
f^
g^
h^
i^
j^
k^
l^
m^
n^
o^
p^
q^
r^
s^
t^
u^
v^
w^
x^
y^
z

v:\> timer & do i=1 to 10000 ( fast.btm ) & timer
Timer 1 on: 14:03:34
Timer 1 off: 14:03:47  Elapsed: 0:00:13.18

v:\> timer & do i=1 to 10000 ( fast2.btm ) & timer
Timer 1 on: 14:03:47
Timer 1 off: 14:04:00  Elapsed: 0:00:13.34

Your tests are unfortunately not relevant, because you're not measuring what you think you are.

Batch files are (already) read a line at a time; what you're measuring is how long it take to assemble a (really small) line. The LIBRARY /R reads a block at a time and stuffs it in memory, without going through all the line parsing. For a 100 byte file, you won't see any difference; for a 500K file (and yes, there are some users out there with alias & library files that size) it's a sizeable difference.