Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

"less" program that works in TC 18

Nov
The version of "less" that's on my machine, which is from an ancient Win32 build of some GNU/Unix utilities: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, crashes in TC 18 x64.

I'm not looking for a TC fix; what I'm looking for is a suggestion from anyone who's using a Win32 build of less that works in TC. I'm a little surprised there isn't one in the MSYS package that git for Windows installs, but since "less" isn't used to build things, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Thanks for any pointers.

Since VIEW is built-in to TC, why not use it instead? You can easily create an alias named LESS that invokes VIEW.

FWIW - I am running Win10 and TC 22. And the LESS.EXE that is bundled with GIT works without any issues.

TC (tcmd.exe) monitors the console's screen buffer. LESS.EXE uses these two functions (below). I suspect that will never work with TC.
Code:
CreateConsoleScreenBuffer
SetConsoleActiveScreenBuffer

I have a version of GnuWin32 less.exe that is working in my TCC v22 x64. It is version 394.2189.19546, copyright 2005, modified 1/3/2006.

The version of "less" that's on my machine, which is from an ancient Win32 build of some GNU/Unix utilities: http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/, crashes in TC 18 x64.

I'm not looking for a TC fix; what I'm looking for is a suggestion from anyone who's using a Win32 build of less that works in TC. I'm a little surprised there isn't one in the MSYS package that git for Windows installs, but since "less" isn't used to build things, perhaps I shouldn't be.

Thanks for any pointers.

I would recommend Cygwin. I have the 64-bit version on my Windows 7.

Ref: https://jpsoft.com/forums/threads/problem-with-list.8182/

Joe

It's not clear to me which you mean. I normally run my TCC as a TCMD session tab. Are you referring to something different with it not working in TCMD?
I mean TCC in a TCMD tab. If I "g:\gnu\less file", I see the file for a split second. Then I'm back to the blank line after the command. If I press 'q' to exit less, either TCC disappears or conhost crashes. I get many zombie TCC and LESS processes.

I mean TCC in a TCMD tab. If I "g:\gnu\less file", I see the file for a split second. Then I'm back to the blank line after the command. If I press 'q' to exit less, either TCC disappears or conhost crashes. I get many zombie TCC and LESS processes.
I'm not seeing this on mine. When I less in a TCC tab, the file stays until I q to exit. Whether I less file or pipe output to less, both seem to work for me without crashing.

the LESS.EXE that is bundled with GIT works without any issues.

The MSYS2 stuff that git 2.10.2 installed on my Windows system doesn't have a "less". Maybe I need to upgrade.

I may try using an alias to TCMD's "list" command. However, it has a couple of differences from the Unix "less" that give me some pain: 'q' doesn't quit the program and '/' doesn't search. So I think getting a Win32 build of "less" that works in TCMD is probably where I still need to go. I think I might be successful with a newer git-for-win installation.

The "less" utility from the gitforwindows.org package v2.15.1(2) is working fine in TCMD 18.

Thanks samintz and everyone else for all the suggestions.