Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

left Behind

Feb
Hello,

I've been away from the forum for a while (since the old list went away) and haven't upgraded since tcmd 8. I've been meaning to learn the new products but can't quite wrap my mind around them. For now I would like to know this: In pre-tabbed tcmd you could create buttons that would run commands, internal or external. You had the options "echo", "echo and execute" and "execute without echo". I would usually chose the third option. How does one accomplish this now?

Also, I notice that in the explorer view (which I like, but prefer to keep hidden) the command "cdd /t" causes it to navigate automatically. Is there a way to make it default to that, even when using "c:\directoryname\" syntax? When I drag a folder view into the cl it does not append "\" even though I have that option chosen in tab completion. Is there a way to make that happen?

I'm finding the documentation rather cryptic lately. Or maybe I'm just getting senile.

New users often make the request you are making. However, in practice,
that is a huge overhead. If you desire that behavior then you can create
a PRE_INPUT or POST_EXEC alias.

The PRE_INPUT, PRE_EXEC, and POST_EXEC Aliases

When at the command prompt (i.e., not executing a batch file), TCC will
look for (and execute them if found) the following aliases:

PRE_INPUT - executed immediately before accepting input for a new command
line.
PRE_EXEC - executed immediately after a command line is entered (before
any expansion or redirection).
POST_EXEC - executed immediately after returning from a command and before
displaying the prompt.

Keep in mind that if you have any network mapped drives, the time to
update goes up. Also, you need to refresh the tree manually if you create
subdirectories.

-Scott

liguorid <> wrote on 04/22/2010 11:08:35 AM:

> Hello,
>
> I've been away from the forum for a while (since the old list went
> away) and haven't upgraded since tcmd 8. I've been meaning to learn
> the new products but can't quite wrap my mind around them. For now
> I would like to know this: In pre-tabbed tcmd you could create
> buttons that would run commands, internal or external. You had the
> options "echo", "echo and execute" and "execute without echo". I
> would usually chose the third option. How does one accomplish this now?
>
> Also, I notice that in the explorer view (which I like, but prefer
> to keep hidden) the command "cdd /t" causes it to navigate
> automatically. Is there a way to make it default to that, even when
> using "c:\directoryname\" syntax? When I drag a folder view into
> the cl it does not append "\" even though I have that option chosen
> in tab completion. Is there a way to make that happen?
>
> I'm finding the documentation rather cryptic lately. Or maybe I'm
> just getting senile.
>
>
>
>

In pre-tabbed tcmd you could create buttons that would run commands, internal or external. You had the options "echo", "echo and execute" and "execute without echo". I would usually chose the third option. How does one accomplish this now?

If you want the button to execute a command in the current session, the middle option -- "Send to the current tab" -- is the right choice. I don't think there's any way to do it silently, though; the text will be visible.

I don't remember how the old Take Command worked, but in current versions, the command for a toolbar button is entered in KEYSTACK format: literal text between double quotes, special keys like ENTER outside of the quotes; e.g.
Code:
"dir /a /w" enter

Thanks for the replies. I've learned to create buttons in tcc. I still claim it isn't exactly clear in the documentation.

No I would not like to incur overhead to satisfy my whims. However, to facilitate faster navigation of the sidebar "explorer" I created a button called "Sync Folder View" with the command ' "cdd _%cwd /t" enter" '. When executed at the CL this does as expected: the CL directory is the same but the folder view reflects it. However, executing it from the button has unpredictable results. Sometimes it CD's to directories several commands previous, or to the directory in which TCMD is installed. Also, I notice the command in the history expands my command to what it thought %_cwd was--not the current working directory. It seems the "overhead" of using immediate execution is behavior as unreliable as keystack.

My OS is Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600].

If you want the button to execute a command in the current session, the middle option -- "Send to the current tab" -- is the right choice. I don't think there's any way to do it silently, though; the text will be visible.

I don't remember how the old Take Command worked, but in current versions, the command for a toolbar button is entered in KEYSTACK format: literal text between double quotes, special keys like ENTER outside of the quotes; e.g.
Code:
"dir /a /w" enter

Thanks for the replies. I've learned to create buttons in tcc. I still claim it isn't exactly clear in the documentation.

No I would not like to incur overhead to satisfy my whims. However, to facilitate faster navigation of the sidebar "explorer" I created a button called "Sync Folder View" with the command ' "cdd _%cwd /t" enter" '. When executed at the CL this does as expected: the CL directory is the same but the folder view reflects it. However, executing it from the button has unpredictable results.

Try it like this:

Code:
"cdd /t %%_cwd" enter

Note doubled percent sign, and it goes before the underscore.

Actually, to be correct, I should be quoting the directory name:

Code:
"cdd /t " ""%%_cwd"" enter

Back