Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

issue to have "if" inside function

Oct
Dear sir,

I'm now using your latest TCMD 13.00.27 x64 for evaluation.

The following command runs well, function is defined, and the function is executed
>>function test=`echo done` %+ function test %+ %@test[]
echo done
done

also following conditional command executed well
>>if 1==1 echo done
done

but if i combine them into one function:
>> function test=`if 1==1 echo done` %+ function test %+ %@test[]
if 1==1 echo done

It seems the function is defined as expected, but doesn't have expected result.

Any help from you?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that. The FUNCTION command is used to define, well... functions. Functions return values; they are generally used as arguments to commands. It's pretty rare to have a function return a command as a value.

If you want to create a new command, use ALIAS. If, on the other hand, you want the function to return different values depending on a condition, that's what @IF[] is for.

What are you trying to do?

I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish with that. The FUNCTION command is used to define, well... functions. Functions return values; they are generally used as arguments to commands. It's pretty rare to have a function return a command as a value.

If you want to create a new command, use ALIAS. If, on the other hand, you want the function to return different values depending on a condition, that's what @IF[] is for.

What are you trying to do?

What I want do is to deine a function do sth depends on the condition, and finally return a result.
My issue is: if there's an "if" inside function defination, the function can not execuate any futher. here, "echo" is just an example, since it's easy to get the feedback.

I'm not sure if i expressed my idea clearly.

On Tue, 25 Oct 2011 22:56:45 -0400, justsoso8 <> wrote:

|What I want do is to deine a function do sth and finally return a result.
|My issue is: if there's an "if" inside function defination, the function can not execuate any futher.

It is very difficult and often impossible to execute commands in a function.
Functions should, in general, test/evaluate things and create a string (not echo
it); the function will be replaced by this string when you use it. The best way
to make decisions in a function if with @IF[]. Here's an example.

Code:
v:\> function parity `%@if[%@eval[%1 MOD 2] == 1,odd,even]`

v:\> echo %@parity[3]
odd

v:\> echo %@parity[4]
even

Here's one a little like your original example

Code:
v:\> function test `%@if[%1 == 1,done,not done]`

v:\> echo %@test[1]
done

v:\> echo %@test[2]