Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Is there a consistent way to do a single-key repeat search in the edit/debug IDE?

May
Open a new edit/debug IDE window and load a file.
Search (Ctrl-F) for string1. Then exit the search dialog box.
Use F3 to do a repeat search for string1. No problem.
Search (Ctrl-F) for string2. Then exit the search dialog box.
Use F3 to do a repeat search. It finds the next occurrence of string1.

Is this as designed?

If you did not start a new search, it won't know what you had typed into the dialog and assume nothing changed.
So, yes, most likely it is WAD.

I exit the search dialog because in my editor of choice, that's the way the search dialog works: it disappears when I hit the search button. (In that editor, another key will repeat the search that was done via the Ctrl+F dialog box -- which is what I was hoping F3 would do here.) So I guess it's just a matter of breaking an old habit here. Except that there's no keystroke assigned to that Next button in the search dialog: I need to mouse up there and click (or mouse up there and hit Alt+F.

If I leave the dialog open, F3 still has its (to me) awkward behavior, so F3 is out for me.

I was just trying to find a way to keep my fingers on the keyboard.

I exit the search dialog because in my editor of choice, that's the way the search dialog works: it disappears when I hit the search button. (In that editor, another key will repeat the search that was done via the Ctrl+F dialog box -- which is what I was hoping F3 would do here.) So I guess it's just a matter of breaking an old habit here. Except that there's no keystroke assigned to that Next button in the search dialog: I need to mouse up there and click (or mouse up there and hit Alt+F.

If I leave the dialog open, F3 still has its (to me) awkward behavior, so F3 is out for me.

I was just trying to find a way to keep my fingers on the keyboard.

What key mapping do you use? I use wordstar....