Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

@IPNAME

Aug
I am using;
Code:
TCC  16.02.48  Windows Vista [Version 6.0.6002]
TCC Build 48  Windows Vista Build 6002  Service Pack 2

Yes, I know a new build is available, and I will update to it.

In Windows Explorer, I can see the name of my iTouch as jlc's iPod. It has an IP Address of 192.168.1.100 on my LAN.

In Windows Explorer, I can see the name of my Android Phone, SGH-T986D. It has an IP Address of 192.168.1.102 on my LAN.

When I log into my wifi modem at 192.168.1.1, it shows these devices with their names as in Windows Explorer (Host Name), along with their IP Addresses, and MAC addresses.

(NOTE: My WiFi Modem allows a maximum of 5 connections, from 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.104)

Note the following ouput:
Code:
echo %@ipname[192.168.1.1]
mobilewifi.home

echo %@ipname[192.168.1.100]

echo %@ipname[192.168.1.101]
Optiplex9601

echo %@ipname[192.168.1.102]

192.168.1.1 gives the correct name, as does 192.168.1.101 (my desktop computer). However, I get an error (The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found.) for my iTouch and my Android Phone.

@macaddress returns the correct MAC address of each device.

Should @ipname be able to return the name of my iTouch and Android phone, or is this WAD?

If WAD, does anyone know how to get the name of my iTouch and Android phone from TCC? Windows Explorer can, so there must be a way.

Joe

What does NSLOOKUP return? If it returns a valid name, you can use %@execstr[nslookup 192.168.1.100 | ffind /kmt"name:"]

What does NSLOOKUP return? If it returns a valid name, you can use %@execstr[nslookup 192.168.1.100 | ffind /kmt"name:"]
Code:
nslookup 192.168.1.100
Server:  mobilewifi.home
Address:  192.168.1.1

*** mobilewifi.home can't find 192.168.1.100: Non-existent domain

Joe

11004 is an error code: "The requested name is valid, but no data of the requested type was found." a.k.a. "The destination protocol was unreachable". I'm pretty sure that @IPNAME requires some sort of DNS lookup.

I imagine Explorer gets names by enumerating the network connections/devices. I don't think anything in TCC does that (could be wrong).

You could hard-code the name/address pairs in your HOSTS and/or LMHOSTS files. **Maybe** @IPNAME would then work ... but that would be begging the question ... eh?

Curious: Does "IPCONFIG /displaydns" show any of them?

You could hard-code the name/address pairs in your HOSTS and/or LMHOSTS files. **Maybe** @IPNAME would then work ... but that would be begging the question ... eh?

Vince, adding the IP Address and name to my HOSTS file worked. @IPNAME now returns the name of my devices. Thanks.

Curious: Does "IPCONFIG /displaydns" show any of them?
Code:
ipconfig /displaydns

Windows IP Configuration

Could not display the DNS Resolver Cache.

Joe

Did you stop the Dnscache service? I'm a big fan of not having unnecessary services running but that's one which I figure speeds up network performance so I leave it alone.

With HOSTS you can also give aliases to hosts. With LMHOSTS you can give a name to a connection that doesn't have one. Lucky.syr.edu is my computer at work; it's also at the other end of a VPN that allows me to do all sorts of Windows stuff. I have:
Code:
v:\> type s:\drivers\etc\hosts | grep -v #
128.230.13.36  lucky.syr.edu  ilucky
169.254.1.1  lucky
128.230.13.27  barnyard.syr.edu by
129.6.13.35  www.time.gov
128.230.37.187  newclock.syr.edu  clock.syr.edu

v:\> type s:\drivers\etc\lmhosts | grep lucky
169.254.1.1  lucky  #PRE
128.230.13.36  ilucky  #PRE

They allow the likes of:
Code:
iftp "ftp://ilucky"
iftp "ftp://lucky"
cdd \\lucky\d$
dir \\lucky\c$\Windows[CODE]
not to mention Explorer (but sadly, not TCMD) being able to instantly open windows for folders on "lucky".

Code:
If WAD, does anyone know how to get the name of my iTouch and Android phone from TCC? Windows Explorer can, so there must be a way.

Microsoft has a utility, with full C++ Source Code, called USBView, available from;

http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowshardware/USBView-sample-application-e3241039#content

As I do not "C++", it will take me some time to read through the source code, but this program does what I need, which is, tell me the name of the attached device, along with other useful information, such as Last Plug/Unplug Date.

This information may be useful to others via a plugin, if someone is so inclined.

Joe

Back