Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? ipconfig output in current window

Apr
When I run just ipconfig (it's on the PATH) at TC command line (Windows 10, TCC 21), it runs in a separate window (titled C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipconfig.exe ) then closes, as if I were double-clicking it in File Explorer. Is that normal?

Workaround is to use
cmd /c ipconfig
which shows ipconfig's output in the current TCC or TakeCommand window

- Scott B.

Do you mean that you're using the Run dialog? You just want to type IPCONFIG at the C:\ prompt, like any other command.

Thanks for the replies, and my apologies for delay in getting back on this.

Maybe my site has some weird security restriction. This is not a big problem for me, just puzzling. Some clues below in case you want to take a look.

FYI, I tried running ipconfig six ways. (Windows 10 Enterprise, 64 bit, ver, 1607; TCC 21.01.52 x64).
1. CMD stand-alone window or CMD window within a TC tab: ipconfig writes to screen as expected.

2. What I originally reported:Type "ipconfig" in a TCC console window (stand-alone in TCC, or in a tab in TakeCommand). I have no alias for ipconfig, but it is on my PATH; output of 'which' is:
> which /a ipconfig
ipconfig is an external : C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipconfig.exe
Executes ipconfig in a new window which then disappears.​

3. Defined a TC Tool Bar Button to start in new window, with command "%SystemRoot%\System32\ipconfig.exe", on running I get a Take Command 21 error box stating:
Access is denied.
"AttachConsole"​

4.Button with command "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe %SystemRoot%\System32\ipconfig.exe":
I get to a CMD tabbed console window, no apparent execution of ipconfig.

5. Button with a "/c", command "%SystemRoot%\System32\cmd.exe /c %SystemRoot%\System32\ipconfig.exe":
I get a tabbed window, presumably CMD, that executes ipconfig and then disappears.

6. .btm Batch file with same as #4 (no "/c") on 1st line, and pause on 2nd. It echoes the first line, then goes to a CMD prompt in the TCC window, which shows the windows version like CMD normally would, then next line is a CMD prompt, where the prompt is a single '[' (left bracket), at which I can run CMD commands, including ipconfig, normally. On typing EXIT, I get to the pause command in the batch file.

I tried a bunch of other apparently-console programs within System32, under TCC; all worked OK except chkdsk.exe, extrac32.exe, ipconfig.exe, all of which executed in a new window and disappeared. Security permissions on all the executables seemed the same.

Thanks again -- any suggestions welcome.

- Scott B.

That is definitely not normal, and I'm having a hard time imagining what could possibly cause it. Running a 32-bit build of Take Command on a 64-bit Windows?