Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? Invoke View Clipboard from command line

Feb
VIEW has a very useful feature to view the clipboard (File/ViewClipboard). Currently, I know that I can launch VIEW with any random file and then choose File/ViewClipboard. However, I'm wondering how to invoke this directly from the command line, without first loading up another file.

If you are interested in the contents, you could simply 'type' it.

type clip:

However that would only work with text data....

Michael

Hi Michael,
Thank you for your answer. However, your suggestion only makes sense for pure-text clipboard contents. However, let's say you simply go into explorer, select a file, and hit "ctrl-c" to copy it.
If you "type" it in TCC, TCC will report: "Clipboard is not text format"
On the other hand, in VIEW's View Clipboard box, you can see the full path and file info as it exists on the clipboard.
In general, the advantages of VIEW's View Clipboard box over "type clip:" are three:
1] The ability to view it in hex format
2] The ability to see the clipboard through the prisms of the various available retrieval methods (unicode text, oem text, windows drop handle, OLE private data), etc., to understand why various applications are reacting as they are to the clipboard.
3] Finally, as demonstrated above, the ability to see all formats of data, such as drop handles, graphics data [in hex format], etc., beyond just straight text.

If you are interested in the contents, you could simply 'type' it.

type clip:

However that would only work with text data....

Michael

After I sent this I thought that you probably already knew that...:)

Given that you won't be able to view all of that in a TCC console window, you would need a GUI application of some kind. So is your question "How can I launch view and go right to the ViewClipboard function? Perhaps with a set of switches that can defined your "prisms?"

Michael

Yes, that is my question. How can I issue a command line command to launch view and go right to the ViewClipboard function without first needing to select a file to view?

After I sent this I thought that you probably already knew that...:)

Given that you won't be able to view all of that in a TCC console window, you would need a GUI application of some kind. So is your question "How can I launch view and go right to the ViewClipboard function? Perhaps with a set of switches that can defined your "prisms?"

Michael

Hi Charles,
Thanks! I believe that this would be a very valuable feature.
Ideally, also, it would be great if we'd be able to use a command line switch to specify our preferred format (perhaps the user would be able to specify a format number that would correspond with the CF_ values defined in WinUser.h)
- Avi

You can't.

But I can look at adding an option in the next release.

Charles.