Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Installation folder for TCMD x64 15.1 is wrong

May
I don't know when that changed, but when I try to install TCMD x64 v15.1.42 and TCMD x64 v15.1.44, I get the following default installation folder:

Code:
C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCMD15x64\
LwIkcj7.png

On the contrary, when I install TCMD x64 v15.0.29, I get the much nicer

Code:
C:\Program Files\JP Software\Take Command x64 15.0\

kIZ0EDO.png

The problem isn't with the "JP Software" vs "JPSoft", the problem is that even though I'm installing the 64-bit version, it gets installed in the 32-bit "Program Files (x86)" folder.

This isn't a major issue, obviously, but it only becomes apparent when you have no TCMD version installed. There are two workarounds:
  1. Install TCMD v15.0.29 (or some other 15.0 version) and install v15.1 on top of that
  2. Manually enter the correct Program Files in the setup.
Still, it would be better if the correct folder was entered from the installer itself, as it gets very confusing otherwise.

More information: This worked ok until up to v15.1.41 and stopped working correctly in v15.1.42

v15.1.41:

6oagp1M.png

v15.1.42:
erP3ONi.png

(Thankfully I'd kept the old installers handy at home :))

I don't know when that changed, but when I try to install TCMD x64 v15.1.42 and TCMD x64 v15.1.44, I get the following default installation folder:

Not reproducible here. Did you have a previous installation of TCMD on the system? (In that case, it is *not* the default installation folder; it's the previous installation folder that Windows Installer detected and is offering again.)

I uninstalled all TCMD versions beforehand. I even searched through all the registry for "JPSoft" to find out if there was any remnant.

I'll see if I can do this in a fresh VM though. In any case, the v15.1.41 installer worked ok, v15.1.42 didn't. Even if there was a previous installation folder, why would only v15.1.42 find it?

Update:

This is 100% reproducible on a freshly installed VM with Windows 7 64-bit.

v15.1.41 installs in C:\Program Files\JP Software\Take Command x64 15.01\, v15.1.42 installs in (wrong) C:\Program Files (x86)\JPSoft\TCMD15x64\

The problem persists in v15.1.47 as well (still the 64-bit version tries to install in a 32-bit directory). I'm using the same fresh virtual machine that has never seen any version of TCMD installed.