Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Initialise; Alias; Extended directory search

Nov
Hello -

I have discovered how to post - one must go to the particular forum before seeing any clue how to post.
I have been trying to set Take Command 12 to start up with aliases working. I can find no TCMD.INI file on my machine so I assume I must make one. I did make one with an alias command in it, but this was not recognised. I deleted the TCMD.INI file I had made. Is there a simple guide to making a TCMD file? The one in the help files uses undefined terms and I don't understand it. Also, now I find that the extended directory search facility has stopped working. I have given the command "cdd /S" several times but there is no jpstree.idx file. I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with two monitors.

Regards

_John Sampson_

| I have been trying to set Take Command 12 to start up with aliases
| working. I can find no TCMD.INI file on my machine so I assume I must
| make one. I did make one with an alias command in it, but this was
| not recognised. I deleted the TCMD.INI file I had made. Is there a
| simple guide to making a TCMD file? The one in the help files uses
| undefined terms and I don't understand it. Also, now I find that the
| extended directory search facility has stopped working. I have given
| the command "cdd /S" several times but there is no jpstree.idx file.
| I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with two monitors.

1/ The TCMD.INI file contains a class of entities named "directives", which control HOW TCMD and TCC operate. Once you are the command propmt of a TCC session, type
echo %_ininame
and it will display the full specification of the TCMD.INI file. Except under very rare circumstances, unlikely to occur unless you are an expert using TCMD, you should modify TCMD.INI only through the OPTION dialogs. You can do this from TCMD by selecting Option, and then selecting "Configure TCC", or by executing the OPTION command from TCC's command prompt.

2/ Aliases cannot be defined in TCMD.INI. They can be defined in TCSTART.BTM, a batch file which TCC executes when it starts, before the first command prompt is displayed, so they will be available immediately. Unless you use the OPTION dialog, the TCSTART.BTM file will be expected to be in the same directory as TCMD. Since (afaik) in Win7 if you installed TCMD in its default location you may not be able to place a file into that directory, you can put the file anywhere, and use the option dialog to specify where TCC can find TCSTART.BTM the next time it starts.
--
HTH, Steve

On 07/11/2011 11:07 PM, Steve Fabian wrote:

> From: jsampson
> | I have been trying to set Take Command 12 to start up with aliases
> | working. I can find no TCMD.INI file on my machine so I assume I must
> | make one. I did make one with an alias command in it, but this was
> | not recognised. I deleted the TCMD.INI file I had made. Is there a
> | simple guide to making a TCMD file? The one in the help files uses
> | undefined terms and I don't understand it. Also, now I find that the
> | extended directory search facility has stopped working. I have given
> | the command "cdd /S" several times but there is no jpstree.idx file.
> | I am using Windows 7 Home Premium with two monitors.
>
> 1/ The TCMD.INI file contains a class of entities named "directives", which control HOW TCMD and TCC operate. Once you are the command propmt of a TCC session, type
> echo %_ininame
> and it will display the full specification of the TCMD.INI file. Except under very rare circumstances, unlikely to occur unless you are an expert using TCMD, you should modify TCMD.INI only through the OPTION dialogs. You can do this from TCMD by selecting Option, and then selecting "Configure TCC", or by executing the OPTION command from TCC's command prompt.
>
> 2/ Aliases cannot be defined in TCMD.INI. They can be defined in TCSTART.BTM, a batch file which TCC executes when it starts, before the first command prompt is displayed, so they will be available immediately. Unless you use the OPTION dialog, the TCSTART.BTM file will be expected to be in the same directory as TCMD. Since (afaik) in Win7 if you installed TCMD in its default location you may not be able to place a file into that directory, you can put the file anywhere, and use the option dialog to specify where TCC can find TCSTART.BTM the next time it starts.

In addition to the above, you can also save any alias' currently in
memory to a file with:

alias > \path_to_file\alias_file.txt

and reload it later using:

alias /r \path_to_file\alias_file.txt

You could then put the reload command in your start up file TCSTART.BTM
so that your alias' are available every time you use TCC/TCMD.

See help docs for more info.

--
Regards
John McMahon
[email protected]