Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

I need a debug-plan

Apr
Hello to you all.

I have managed to paint myself into a corner and I could use some intelligent questions.

I recently reinstalled Win8 and TC 15.01. Did a lot of other things but when I came back TCC had stopped working. TC starts, but TCC almost immediatly crashes (without a GPF file) leaving TC running. Starting a new tab results in a new crash.

I removed and re-installed TC but to no avail. I tried a portable version 14.x and that has the same problem.

What could I do (strategy, I mean) to figure out which unintended change is interfering with TC?

Ideas, anyone?

DJ

Since you have problems with more than one TC version, and just reinstalled more than once, I would not suspect installer corruption. Did you try running CMD.EXE in a TC tab? If it runs, check if the variables TCMD, TCMDVER, etc. are defined. My major suspicion would be that TCC may not have write permission to its .INI file (though I usually keep mine read only).

I recently reinstalled Win8 and TC 15.01. Did a lot of other things but when I came back TCC had stopped working. TC starts, but TCC almost immediatly crashes (without a GPF file) leaving TC running. Starting a new tab results in a new crash.

I removed and re-installed TC but to no avail. I tried a portable version 14.x and that has the same problem.

There's two ways in which you'll see a TCC crash and not get a GPF file:

1) If the failure is actually in the Windows loader (i.e., no TCC code is executed). If you see something appear in the TCC window and then it crashes, this isn't the problem.
2) The crash is occurring in some code that was injected into TCC's process space. (Common with screen managers and some antivirus apps. Also with some provirus apps!)

Do you see the same behavior when starting TCC in a console window?

There's two ways in which you'll see a TCC crash and not get a GPF file:

1) If the failure is actually in the Windows loader (i.e., no TCC code is executed). If you see something appear in the TCC window and then it crashes, this isn't the problem.
2) The crash is occurring in some code that was injected into TCC's process space. (Common with screen managers and some antivirus apps. Also with some provirus apps!)

Do you see the same behavior when starting TCC in a console window?

I did! TCC, launched from a CMD box, crashed too. Your comments on antivirus apps reminded me of the fact that I updated System Mechanic. I uses, among many other things, a watch-dog that monitors the behaviour of executables. Normaly a well behaved piece of software, now perhaps a little too overzealous. When I disabled that, TC executed correctly.

I'm glad I asked here first. You have certainly saved me a lot of time.
Thanks, everyone.
DJ