Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How to? How to display picture creation date with dir command

Aug
I copied files from my iPhone to my hard drive. When I look at the Details view in Windows Explorer I can view a Modified time stamp and a Created time stamp like this:

Name Modified Created
IMG_0175.JPG 12/7/2019 8:33 PM 11/26/2011 11:02 AM

I cannot figure out how to display the Created time stamp in TCC. I have tried all of the dir/t:[a|c|w] options. They all give me what Explorer calls the Modified time stamp. The date I want is the one in the file's EXIF information. Is there a way to display that in TCC?

Thank you,
Jesse Heines

I get three different times from DIR. I don't think any of those is the one you're after but IIRC there was a forum thread about retrieving that info.

Code:
\\zz\c$\users\vefatica\documents> d /t:a dedekind.jpg
2020-01-19  03:35         166,613  dedekind.jpg

\\zz\c$\users\vefatica\documents> d /t:c dedekind.jpg
2015-05-29  13:13         166,613  dedekind.jpg

\\zz\c$\users\vefatica\documents> d /t:w dedekind.jpg
2015-05-29  13:41         166,613  dedekind.jpg

And there's something odd in the snippet above. I haven't gone anywhere near that file in years. The accessed time shown is a time when I was sound asleep. Explorer says "Today, January 19, 2020, 18 hours ago which also puts me out like a light.

The EXIF time stamp is in plain text. It's probably not always in the same location, but if you knew a bit about the format, you might be able to retrieve it with a batch file. Below, I found the offset with a hex editor.

Code:
\\zz\f$\004-pics> set hfile=%@fileopen[DSCN0002.JPG,r,t]

\\zz\f$\004-pics> echo %@fileseek[%hfile,272,0]

\\zz\f$\004-pics> echo %@fileread[%hfile,19]
2014:08:08 16:07:14

And there's something odd in the snippet above. I haven't gone anywhere near that file in years. The accessed time shown is a time when I was sound asleep. Explorer says "Today, January 19, 2020, 18 hours ago which also puts me out like a light.

Lots of things access your files without you being involved (for example, Windows Search indexing).

Thank you all for your replies.

@Charles Dye: I have downloaded and installed ImageStuff and it looks great! I didn't know anything about this previously. Thank you for your advice.

Great; I hope it works for you.

If you want to "roll your own" directory format, you can use functions in PDIR, including plugin functions.