Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

How move cursor out of popup edit control after no match?

Jun
In a popup window, if I type something that doesn't match anything, then is there some way to get back to the list without using the mouse? For example: Type F6 to bring up the Directories window. Type something that doesn't match, e.g. "foo". Then press backspace to remove what you typed. Now, the list of directories is back, but how, without using the mouse, do you move the cursor to them so that you can use the arrow keys?

In a popup window, if I type something that doesn't match anything, then is there some way to get back to the list without using the mouse? For example: Type F6 to bring up the Directories window. Type something that doesn't match, e.g. "foo". Then press backspace to remove what you typed. Now, the list of directories is back, but how, without using the mouse, do you move the cursor to them so that you can use the arrow keys?
Backspace?

On my system, Tab does the trick -- though there's no visual indication that the focus has changed.

I have to use Backspace and Tab. If I press Tab while there's still text in the search box, then I really do have to use the mouse to regain control!

Tab does nothing for me ... neither in TCC nor in TCMD, neither dir history nor command history. Are we talking about the same thing?

... I open the dir history window, type "h:\foo" ... nothing in the list now ... tab takes the insertion point out of the box and I have no idea where it went; the dir list is still empty.

You have to backspace to delete the stuff that doesn't match so there is something in the list. If you press tab when there is nothing, you have to use the mouse to get back to the edit. Really, there should be a better way.

Well, we do tend to be self-selected reactionaries here, probably not really representative of Rex's users or of Windows users in general. Very few users are so musophobic.

You have to backspace to delete the stuff that doesn't match so there is something in the list. If you press tab when there is nothing, you have to use the mouse to get back to the edit. Really, there should be a better way.
I can't imagine wanting to go back to the list when it's empty. But when there are matches, <Down> seems a very appropriate key for taking you to the (top of the) list of matches; maybe <Up> taking you to the bottom. Hmmm! In playing with it, I see <Down> work, but only once. Go back to the text box and <Down> will no longer get you out of it (when there are matches).

Tab will always cycle you between the listbox and the edit windows. You may not have anything selected in the listbox, so it won't show a selection until you press the up or down keys.
Once I type something with no matches (empty list) and leave the edit box with TAB, no combination of TAB, UP, and DOWN does anything. In fact, even ESC does nothing at this time. No keystrokes seem to do anything.

And as I said earlier, with text in the edit box, and matches in the list box, DOWN takes you to the list box, but only once. If you then manually (mouse/TAB) go back to the edit box, DOWN will no longer get you to the list (even with matches there).

And as I said earlier, with text in the edit box, and matches in the list box, DOWN takes you to the list box, but only once. If you then manually (mouse/TAB) go back to the edit box, DOWN will no longer get you to the list (even with matches there).

I'm unsure what your point is here -- DOWN isn't supposed to do anything, so I'm not concerned if it doesn't do anything. The fact that it works one time on your system (I cannot reproduce that behavior here) is a curious Windows artifact, not a feature.