Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

history is getting deleted under unknown circumstances

Jun
Hi. I am using v19 of take command and sometimes the history gets deleted. It seems to happen if the system is shutdown without exiting take command first, although there may be other things going on here. In older versions, this never happened, so I am wondering why this is so fragile. Usually, if I exit first its fine.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Can you elaborate? Which history? What is being deleted ... a file?

Can you elaborate? Which history? What is being deleted ... a file?
Well, what happens is that the history.txt file gets truncated and so all the history is lost -- sorry I was not clear. I have the option to read the history file at startup and to save it upon exit.

Not sure what you mean by the option to read at startup and save on exit -- do you have something in your TCSTART and TCEXIT?

Windows only gives apps about 3 or 4 seconds to shutdown, so if your TCEXIT is doing something complicated you're likely to get TCC summarily killed by Windows on a shutdown.

It sounds like he's talking about:
{CODE]
History File : Load the specified history list file before running TCSTART, and save the command history to the file after running TCEXIT. You should include the full pathname.[/CODE]
I have never used that option so I can't comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure what you mean by the option to read at startup and save on exit -- do you have something in your TCSTART and TCEXIT?

Windows only gives apps about 3 or 4 seconds to shutdown, so if your TCEXIT is doing something complicated you're likely to get TCC summarily killed by Windows on a shutdown.

Well, I don't have anything in tccexit.btm after all, but I thought it would save on exit and read on startup the designated file which is history.txt in my case. Is this not so?

It sounds like he's talking about:
{CODE]
History File : Load the specified history list file before running TCSTART, and save the command history to the file after running TCEXIT. You should include the full pathname.[/CODE]
I have never used that option so I can't comment.
Yep, exactly what I am talking about.

I just tried it twice (logged off while TCC was running in TCMD) and it worked. Be aware, that is a TCC option (not a TakeCommand option). The only commands that will be put into that file are those executed at a TCC command line. If you're running some other program in TakeCommand, or a version of TCC that has not been configured to use your history.txt, commands won't be saved.

I just tried it twice (logged off while TCC was running in TCMD) and it worked. Be aware, that is a TCC option (not a TakeCommand option). The only commands that will be put into that file are those executed at a TCC command line. If you're running some other program in TakeCommand, or a version of TCC that has not been configured to use your history.txt, commands won't be saved.
Well, it seems only to happen if the system completely shuts down unexpectedly -- or so it seems to me -- so it might be hard to duplicate the problem on demand. All I know is that under version 11, it worked fine, so I posted here to see if there was a fix, or if there is a way to file a bug.

"System completely shuts down unexpectedly" ... blue_screen_of_death? ... pushing the hardware on/off button? ... pulling the plug? ... power outage? I wouldn't expect anything to work correctly in those cases.