Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

High-Precision arithmetic bug...

May
This is not really the way I wanted to do this because it's not a question, but I can't find any other way to handle this issue...

Specifically, the following code (in a .btm file):

Code:
SetLocal
On Error Goto ErrOut
SetDOS /F0,4090
Set R=1.41666<4,077 More 6's>6667
Set S=%@Eval[%R*%R]
@Echo Evaluation Worked!
@Echo Value of S: %S
@Echo Before Iff 1
Iff %S != 2 Then
   @Echo Not Equal Two!
Else
   @Echo Equal Two!
EndIff
EndLocal
Quit 0
Produces the following output (note no "@Echo Off"):

Code:
SetLocal
On Error Goto ErrOut
SetDOS /F0,4090
Set R=1.41666<4,077 More 6's>6667
Before Evaluation...
Set S=2.00694444,079 More 4's<>4445
Evaluation Worked!
Value of S: 2.0069444<4,079 More 4's>4445
Before Iff
Iff %S != 2 Then
After which TCC session in which it is running immediately terminates without notice. Further testing showed that if the precision is 146 (i. e. SetDOS /F0,146), the .btm file runs to completion. If the precision is 147, the result is a standard windows message box "TCC has stopped working. Windows is searching for a solution to the problem", after which the TCC session terminates. And if the precision is 148 or higher, again the TCC session terminates without notice. While I will be the first to admit that this problem is not really an issue in the "real world" (I was just playing around), I also think that since Rex went to the trouble of writing code to handle high-precision arithmetic in the first place, he would also hope that it runs correctly in all situations.

And then the TCC session in which it is running immediately terminates without notice. While I will be the first to admit that this problem is not really an issue in the "real world" (I was just playing around), I also think that since Rex went to the trouble of writing code to handle high-precision arithmetic in the first place, he would also hope that it runs correctly in all situations.

Please email your .btm to [email protected].

Note that @EVAL can generate arguments that are much larger than can be handled in variable substitution; however, TCC should be truncating them and not crashing.

Back