Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Declined Help system improvements

Mar
It appears that Take Command uses the standard Windows Help system, which leaves a lot to be desired. The thing I would like most is to be able to have separate Favorites entries for each group of functions, something I need to reference often. The way the Help system always goes back to the top when you move between pages is very annoying.

In fact Rex did try a different help system a few versions back. It... was not greeted by all with shouts of joy.

I quite like HTML help (CHM). I have not seen anything better.

It appears that Take Command uses the standard Windows Help system, which leaves a lot to be desired. The thing I would like most is to be able to have separate Favorites entries for each group of functions, something I need to reference often. The way the Help system always goes back to the top when you move between pages is very annoying.

Like this?

Joe

I'll try to be more clear. For example, the variable Functions by Category page is quite long. If I scroll down to string functions (what I want most often), for example, and then jump to something else and back to Variable Functions by Category, I am back at the top of that page and have to scroll down again. I have a large display (3840x2160) that shows a lot of text, so that's not the problem.

Is making them Favorites, like I have done, not a solution?

Joe

Hmm, I never noticed that it is possible to do that. It provides the most important thing I want. Thanks.

Hmm, I never noticed that it is possible to do that. It provides the most important thing I want. Thanks.

Now, I'm not sure how it works when the help file is replaced by a new one, but you might lose those favorites.

Maybe someone else can shed some light on this.

Joe

Favorites (and many other things) are remembered in "%userprofile\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\HTML Help\hh.dat". That file is "global" with respect to HTML help. [I have some real antiques in mine!] Favs seem to be remembered with a user-given name and an HTML help locator (see below). I don't know for sure, but I'd be very surprised if updating TCMD.CHM would change anything.

Code:
..F.u.n.c.t.i.o.n.s.:. .s.t.r.i.n.g.s. .a.n.d. .c.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r.s...m.k.:[email protected].:.G.:.\.t.c.2.4.\.T.C.M.D...C.H.M.:.:./.f.u.n.c.t.i.o.n.c.a.t.s...h.t.m.#.s.t.r.i.n.g.s.a.n.d.c.h.a.r.a.c.t.e.r.s