Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HELP nits

May
1/ Topic "ANSI X3.64 Support"
Bad grammar. At end of 3rd sentence add "commands". In 4th sentence change "TCC" to "TCC's".

2/ Topic "Limits", Table "Miscellaneous Limits"
Isn't "character count in any function" entry a duplication of the "user defined functions" entry in the "Length Limits" table?
I believe the penultimate entry, "key substitution table", is obsolete. It had referred to the unsupported key substitution feature of ANSI X3.64.
Missing limits (in many cases the actual limit is resources available to TCC):
- number of environment variables, aliases, user defined functions, arrays
- size of an individual array dimensions
- total size of an array
--
Steve

2/ Topic "Limits", Table "Miscellaneous Limits"
Isn't "character count in any function" entry a duplication of the "user defined functions" entry in the "Length Limits" table?

No, it's completely different. Character count in a function is the maximum number of characters you can pass / return inside a function (between the []'s). The UDF size is the maximum size of an individual function.

I believe the penultimate entry, "key substitution table", is obsolete. It had referred to the unsupported key substitution feature of ANSI X3.64.

No, it refers to the key table in the TCMD.INI file.

Missing limits (in many cases the actual limit is resources available to TCC):
- number of environment variables

No limit (other than RAM, but that's a Windows limit, not TCC).

If global, it's already defined. If local, no limit (other than RAM).

user defined functions

Ditto.

arrays
- size of an individual array dimensions

No limit other than RAM.

total size of an array

No limit other than RAM.

Attachments

• keystack.jpg
    keystack.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 202
| From: Peter Bratton
|| 3/ Topic "Keystack"
|| No mention of the exclamation mark argument that used to clear the
|| keyboard buffer. If it still does the job, shouldn't "keystack !" be
|| mentioned?
|
| There is no such argument.

I just went back into older HELP files. V8 listed the ! as clearing the keyboard buffer and keystack. V9 command line showed the optional ! character without description. V10 and ff. no longer document it. The batch files I have which use it do not report errors even in the latest V12.10.67. Why was it dropped? What alternative is available to guarantee that the keystrokes delivered to a program are exactly what is intended, without any leftover characters?
--
Steve

I just went back into older HELP files. V8 listed the ! as clearing the keyboard buffer and keystack. V9 command line showed the optional ! character without description. V10 and ff. no longer document it. The batch files I have which use it do not report errors even in the latest V12.10.67. Why was it dropped? What alternative is available to guarantee that the keystrokes delivered to a program are exactly what is intended, without any leftover characters?

It was a 4DOS leftover. It was never supported in 4NT / TCC (it's impossible in a multitasking OS). There can never be any leftover characters.

| It was a 4DOS leftover. It was never supported in 4NT / TCC (it's
| impossible in a multitasking OS). There can never be any leftover
| characters.

What does this mean when consecutive KEYSTACK commands are issued with the same window active? Does each KEYSTACK command wait for all its actions to be completed before the next one is executed, or do subsequent commands clear that window's keyboard buffer, effectively removing part or all of the previous command's actions?
--
Steve

What does this mean when consecutive KEYSTACK commands are issued with the same window active? Does each KEYSTACK command wait for all its actions to be completed before the next one is executed, or do subsequent commands clear that window's keyboard buffer, effectively removing part or all of the previous command's actions?

Neither one; the keys are just added to a, um, queue.

|| 2/ Topic "Limits", Table "Miscellaneous Limits"
|| Isn't "character count in any function" entry a duplication of the
|| "user defined functions" entry in the "Length Limits" table?
|
| No, it's completely different. Character count in a function is the
| maximum number of characters you can pass / return inside a function
| (between the []'s). The UDF size is the maximum size of an individual
| function.

I would suggest clarified wording and making input and output limits more explicit, so that this entry would not mislead even long-time users, e.g.,
"combined size of all function parameters" and
"size of user defined function's return string"

|| I believe the penultimate entry, "key substitution table", is
|| obsolete. It had referred to the unsupported key substitution feature
|| of ANSI X3.64.
|
| No, it refers to the key table in the TCMD.INI file.

What key table?

|| Missing limits (in many cases the actual limit is resources available
|| to TCC):
|| - number of environment variables
|
| No limit (other than RAM, but that's a Windows limit, not TCC).

Suggest each item be added to tables.
--
Steve