Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Help | Check for updates "old news"

Jul
The last few times there have been updates (notably .61 and .62), when I have used Help | Check for updates, the description of the update/changes is a few releases behind. For example, today (62) is available, but the change notice only goes to (60). This means I have to spend time digging around the forum to try to find out whether I should update or not (one time, it was just Help file changes).

Could you please keep this information current? You did a good job with Version 11, but Version 12 has always seemed to be a bit behind.

The last few times there have been updates (notably .61 and .62), when I have used Help | Check for updates, the description of the update/changes is a few releases behind. For example, today (62) is available, but the change notice only goes to (60). This means I have to spend time digging around the forum to try to find out whether I should update or not (one time, it was just Help file changes).

Could you please keep this information current? You did a good job with Version 11, but Version 12 has always seemed to be a bit behind.

I post the changes in two places:

1) In this forum.

2) The Updater always has the full set of changes. Build 62 was bug fixes only; I suspect you didn't scroll down far enough to see the changes. (Bug fixes appear below the new features & enhancements.)

Here, I can find the latest release notes in

Code:
E:\Users\vefatica\Application Data\JP Software\Take Command 12.10\updates\tcmdupdate.aiu

I just did an update and think I know what the OP is referring to. At the top of the update window is the new version, 12.10.62. But, in the bottom pane of the update window, the most recent 'New Features' is for (60). Why isn't the new features list in the bottom pane of the update window current with the top pane of that same window? I have attached a screen capture to illustrate.

Tim

Attachments

• TCMD_Update.jpg
    TCMD_Update.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 272
Why isn't the new features list in the bottom pane of the update window current with the top pane of that same window? I have attached a screen capture to illustrate.

Tim

Because there are no new features in build 62. Scroll down and you'll see build 62 references in the fixed bugs list.

If you'd prefer, I could remove all references to the build numbers in the features, enhancements, and fixed bugs list.

Because there are no new features in build 62. Scroll down and you'll see build 62 references in the fixed bugs list.

If you'd prefer, I could remove all references to the build numbers in the features, enhancements, and fixed bugs list.
I'm not sure it's helpful to show new features, enhancements, and bug fixes that already installed. It seems a reason for this information is to show why one should perform the update. If the updater knows the current version, I wonder if it might be preferable to show just what is different between the current version and the selected version at the top. If there are interim versions between the current version and the one being updated to, the version numbers in the list may still be relevant. If it is just to the next version and all of the version numbers would be the same, then including them is of lesser value.

Tim

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM, rconn <> wrote:

> ---Quote (Originally by TimButterfield)---
> I'm not sure it's helpful to show new features, enhancements, and bug fixes that already installed. It seems a reason for this information is to show why one should perform the update.
> ---End Quote---
>
> 1) Most users (about 99.9%) do not update on every build.
>
> 2) There isn't any way to tell the updater to display a range of builds.

In that case, perhaps it would be preferable from a usability
standpoint to list the version changes in descending version order
without the groupings. That would put the newest version always at
the top and easily visible.

Tim

On Sun, Apr 24, 2011 at 10:36 PM, rconn <> wrote:

> In that case, perhaps it would be preferable from a usability
> standpoint to list the version changes in descending version order
> without the groupings. That would put the newest version always at
> the top and easily visible.
> ---End Quote---
>
> Can't be done. *(Not my code, and no source.)

Okay. Even if you did not control that code, I had assumed you had
control over the data you passed to it. But, perhaps not.

I had originally commented on this in my attempt to understand the OP.
Usually, I never even bother looking at this area of the update
window. I would likely accept the update change regardless of why it
was done. After all, I've been doing that for nearly twenty years
anyway. ;) So, what happens to it doesn't really affect me either
way.

Tim

I never even bother looking at this area of the update window. I would likely accept the update change regardless of why it
was done
Alternatively you could do things the old-fashioned way and monitor the forum for Rex's announcement, download the installer from the FTP site and update manually (the way I've been doing for the last sixteen years, although once upon a time it would all have Compuserve rather than web!!)

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 4:55 AM, Steve Pitts <> wrote:

> I never even bother looking at this area of the update window. *I would likely accept the update change regardless of why it
> was done
> ---End Quote---
> Alternatively you could do things the old-fashioned way and monitor the forum for Rex's announcement, download the installer from the FTP site and update manually (the way I've been doing for the last sixteen years, although once upon a time it would all have Compuserve rather than web!!)

I've been doing that also, receiving all forum posts as email. As FTP
access is blocked at work, I should do a better job of remembering the
HTTP URL to copy from. But, just running option /u is easier.

Tim

I post the changes in two places:

2) The Updater always has the full set of changes. Build 62 was bug fixes only; I suspect you didn't scroll down far enough to see the changes. (Bug fixes appear below the new features & enhancements.)

Thanks and sorry. I thought the listing was completely sequential. I'll look harder next time.