Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WAD getting null ascii chars (spaces) in redirected or piped output

Mar
This problem started a while ago and I don't know what triggered it, I thought it was due to mixing TCCLE with cygwin or with CONSOLE2, but I can reproduce it without those. What happens is that some commands, when redirecting or piping to others, produce output with what looks like spaces between every character, but when I output to a text file and examine it, each "space" is actually an ASCII NULL (zero ascii code) charcacter. Here's an example with purely internal commands DIRS and TYPE

[C:\]
[C:\]dirs | type
: \ u t i l s \ C o n s o l e 2 6 4
C : \ u t i l s \ C o n s o l e 2 6 4
C : \ a d v \ t r u n k
C : \ a d v \ t r u n k

[C:\]which type
type is an internal command

[C:\]which dirs
dirs is an internal command
Any ideas?

Simple! Verify that Options -> Startup -> Unicode output is not checked!
ASCII to Unicode translation is simply to add an all-zero high order byte (changing 8-bit characters to 16-bit characterrs).

Simple! Verify that Options -> Startup -> Unicode output is not checked!
ASCII to Unicode translation is simply to add an all-zero high order byte (changing 8-bit characters to 16-bit characterrs).
unbelievable - I've been putting up with this for so long before going to the effort of signing up and asking. I can't believe I missed it too because I went through options checking and unchecking options above and below that one.
Thank you thank you thank you

Back